Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Alex Trebek. Check it out!
Born and raised in Sudbury, Ontario, Alex Trebek graduated from the University of Ottawa with a degree in Philosophy. After his first decision to become a newscaster, he joined the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Company), Canada’s premier network in 1961. As he was working, he helped organize national news and covered a variety of special events for CBC’s radio and television divisions, receiving high praise as a broadcaster who retained his poise and composure in the toughest places. Then, in 1966, he became a Canadian game show host on Reach for the Top (1965), and stayed there for the first seven years until he migrated to the United States to host his very first game show in that country, The Wizard of Odds (1973), for NBC.
Interesting Facts about Alex Trebek
- Hospitalized after suffering a minor heart attack at his home on December 10, 2007.
- Parodied by Will Ferrell on Saturday Night Live (1975).
- It was Trebek’s idea to include separate competitions for teenagers, seniors, and celebrities on Jeopardy! (1984).
- Ranked #10 on Life’s 15 Best Game Show Hosts.
- Lived next door to Ed Begley Jr..
- His first game show, The Wizard of Odds (1973), was produced by Alan Thicke.
- Was a longtime moderator for the annual National Geographic Bee in both Canada and the United States.
- As a teenager, he was a garbage man in Cincinnati, but moved back to his native Canada in 1961 to finish college and to become a news anchor.
- As a student at the University of Ottawa, he was a member of the English Debating Society.
- Was employed at Mark Goodson Productions from 1976 to 1977 and again from 1987 to 1991.
- Was a spokesman for World Vision.
- Trebek was one of four game show hosts to have emceed a game show in the United States and another in Canada; the other three were Howie Mandel, Geoff Edwards and Jim Perry.
Personal Quotes by Alex Trebek
I did everything – I did newscasts, I did sports, I did dramas.- Alex Trebek
The only reason I got into broadcasting was, I needed money to pay for my junior and senior years at college, and they hired me, those fools!- Alex Trebek
When you’re in your 30s and actively pursuing a career and a home life, a wife and children, you’re busy doing as opposed to busy thinking. As you get older, even as you don’t have as much time, I think you tend to think more and reflect more on what is happening in your own life.- Alex Trebek
I have an Apple computer, which I use to play Spider Solitaire and do research on the Internet.- Alex Trebek