Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Alicia Vikander. Check it out!
Alicia Vikander is a Swedish actress, dancer and producer. She was born and raised in Gothenburg, Västra Götalands län, Sweden, to Maria Fahl-Vikander, an actress of stage and screen, and Svante Vikander, a psychiatrist. Through her mother, she is one quarter Finnish, and had a maternal great aunt who moved from Finland to Sweden to escape World War 2. Alicia began acting as a child in minor stage productions at The Göteborg Opera, and trained as a ballet dancer at the Royal Swedish Ballet School in Stockholm, and the School of American Ballet in New York. She began her professional acting career by appearing in Swedish short films and television series, and first gained recognition in Northern Europe for her role as Josefin Björn-Tegebrandt in the TV drama Andra Avenyn (2007). Vikander made her feature film debut in Pure (2009), for which she won the Guldbagge Award for Best Actress. She attracted widespread recognition in 2012 for portraying Princess Ekaterina “Kitty” Alexandrovna Shcherbatskaya in Joe Wright’s film adaptation of Anna Karenina (2012), and Queen Caroline Mathilde in the acclaimed Danish film A Royal Affair (2012), receiving a BAFTA Rising Star Award nomination for her breakthrough. She went on to star in the 2013 Swedish drama film Hotell (2013)and appeared in the Julian Assange biopic The Fifth Estate (2013) that same year. In 2014 and 2015, Vikander achieved global recognition and acclaim for her roles as activist Vera Brittain in Testament of Youth (2014), an AI in Ex Machina (2014), for which she was nominated for the Golden Globe and BAFTA Award for Best Supporting Actress, and painter Gerda Wegener in The Danish Girl (2015), for which she received the Academy Award and the Screen Actors Guild Award for Best Supporting Actress.
Interesting Facts about Alicia Vikander
- She stated in an interview on The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon (2014) that she did most of her own stunts, and had to repeat some of them, in Tomb Raider (2018).
- One of two dancers/actresses to play artificial life forms. Summer Glau was a Prima Ballerina who played a cyborg in Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles (2008). Alicia was also a ballerina who played an android in Ex Machina (2014).
- Auditioned for the role of Cinderella in Cinderella (2015). Lily James was cast instead.
- Got the part of Kitty in Anna Karenina (2012) after Saoirse Ronan turned it down, while she got the part of Alice in Seventh Son (2014) after Jennifer Lawrence backed out of the production.
- Her favorite actresses are Marion Cotillard, Isabelle Huppert and Jennifer Lawrence.
- Has appeared in two period pieces set in Denmark, the neighbor country of her native Sweden, A Royal Affair (2012) and The Danish Girl (2015).
- A trained ballet dancer, she studied ballet at the Royal Swedish Ballet School, but decided to pursue acting instead of ballet, following a few injuries and subsequent foot and back surgeries.
- Ranked #40 in FHM magazine’s “100 Sexiest Women in the World 2017”.
- One of six children.
- Beat out her Tulip Fever (2017) co-star Cara Delevingne for the role of Lara in Tomb Raider (2018).
- Was named “The Thinking-Man’s Blake Lively” by “The New York Times” in 2015.
- Is the first Swede to win an Academy Award since Ingrid Bergman for Murder on the Orient Express (1974).
Personal Quotes by Alicia Vikander
I push myself hard. I don’t like pain, exactly, but as a ballerina, I lived in constant pain. At ballet school in Stockholm, I remember we had a locker where if someone had been to the doctor and gotten painkillers, we divided them among us. In a sense, we were all addicted.- Alicia Vikander
I still love to see the ballet. And I love to boogie.- Alicia Vikander
I am very fortunate to work with people I have seen on the screen so many times and admired, and they are in the public eye, and I have seen how they handle it. There are definitely ways to just keep on enjoying the profession and the work. Other people tell me that things are going to change.- Alicia Vikander
My dad has children by four different mothers.- Alicia Vikander
I love doing interviews that are about work that I do, films that I make. I am not very interested in the rest. I think I have always been quite reserved and a bit frightened of that whole thing.- Alicia Vikander