Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Ann-Margret. Check it out!
Actress and singer Ann-Margret is one of the most famous sex symbols and actresses of the 1960s and beyond. She continued her career through the following decades and into the 21st century.
Interesting Facts about Ann-Margret
- During the Vietnam War, she toured with the USO to entertain U.S. troops in Vietnam and other parts of Southeast Asia. She still has great affection for the veterans and refers to them as “my gentlemen”. She confessed that she was badly upset because some soldiers whose she had shaken hands died a few days later.
- According to her 1961 appearance on The Jack Benny Program (1950), she was attending Northwestern University, where she was majoring in geriatrics, taking courses in chemistry, biology, and advanced psychology.
- Her husband, actor Roger Smith, who later became her agent and produced C.C. & Company (1970) for her, died less than a month after their 50th wedding anniversary after a long illness.
- Is one of five Swedish actresses to be nominated for an Academy Award. The others are Greta Garbo, Ingrid Bergman, Lena Olin and Alicia Vikander. The only Swedish actor to be nominated is Max von Sydow.
- She was the first choice to play Gypsy Rose Lee in the comedy-drama musical Gypsy (1962), before Natalie Wood was cast.
- Speaks Swedish fluently.
- She was replaced by Faye Dunaway for the lead role in The Disappearance of Aimee (1976).
- Rode a 500cc Triumph T100C Tiger motorcycle in The Swinger (1966) and the same model fitted with a non-standard electric starter in her stage show. A keen motorcyclist, she was featured in Triumph Motorcycles’ official commercials in the 1960s — for obvious reasons.
- In 2013, she experienced a resurge in popularity thanks to her most famous film being the center of attention during an episode of the television series Mad Men (2007).
- On August 19, 2000, she suffered three broken ribs and a fractured shoulder when she was thrown off a motorcycle she was driving in rural Minnesota.
- She had two Billboard Club Play charting hits: with “Love Rush” (1979) which climbed to #8, and with “Midnight Message” (1980) that peaked at #12.
- Is a member of Kappa Alpha Theta Sorority. She was initiated in the Tau chapter (Northwestern University) (1960).
Personal Quotes by Ann-Margret
I always tried to be the perfect little girl. Always tried to have the perfect little manners. Never wanted to displease my parents.Ann-Margret
I work out three times a week with a trainer.Ann-Margret
Ever since I was four years old, I loved making people smile, making them think, making them feel good, feel some kind of emotion.Ann-Margret
Ken Russell was wonderful to me. I’d heard all these things about how he’d yell and scream at people, but I found him to be a very nice, normal person.Ann-Margret
I’m the only one of all my friends that doesn’t cook. But I don’t cook, and I don’t care.Ann-Margret