Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Ansel Elgort. Check it out!
Ansel Elgort is an American actor, known for playing Augustus Waters in the romance The Fault in our Stars (2014) and the title character in the action thriller Baby Driver (2017). He was born in New York City to photographer Arthur Elgort and opera director Grethe Holby. His father is of Russian-Jewish heritage, while his mother has Norwegian and British Isles ancestry.
Interesting Facts about Ansel Elgort
- His father, a photographer, named him after renowned photographer Ansel Adams.
- Began training as a dancer at age nine at the insistence of his mother, who is a former ballerina and choreographer. He studied at the School of American Ballet.
- Nephew of Kristin Holby.
- He has a reputation for revealing plot-spoilers about his movies in interviews.
- Son of Grethe Holby, an opera director. His siblings are photographer Sophie Elgort and filmmaker Warren Elgort.
- Has a dog named Galo.
- Ansel’s paternal grandfather, Harry Elgort, was a Russian Jewish immigrant, while Ansel’s paternal grandmother, Sophie Didimamoff, was born in New York, to parents from the Russian Empire. Ansel’s maternal grandfather, Warren Barrett Holby, was a prominent Westchester real estate developer, and had English, Scots-Irish/Northern Irish, and German ancestry. Ansel’s maternal grandmother, Aase-Grethe, was Norwegian; during World War II, she served in the Resistance for the Norwegian Government-in-exile, and helped save Jews in Norway from the Holocaust. Because of these activities, Aase-Grethe was imprisoned in a concentration camp by the Nazis (from 1943 to 1944).
- Son of famed fashion photographer Arthur Elgort.
- He and Shailene Woodley played brother and sister in the Divergent (2014) films, and love interests in The Fault in our Stars (2014).
- Attended Fiorello H. LaGuardia High School with Timothée Chalamet.
- Is a New York Knicks fan.
- Also records EDM under the moniker Ansølo.
Personal Quotes by Ansel Elgort
I think my parents raised me well. And I’m pretty straight edge. All my friends make fun of me for being straight edge.- Ansel Elgort
Human beings are a wonderful virus in some ways.- Ansel Elgort
When I was in lower school, I graduated from fourth grade, and the principal gave us a summer assignment to take a 30-minute reflection period every day. And, of course, there were no cell phones at the time. She said to just think. And that’s lost. It doesn’t exist anymore. Just imagine being on a couch and just thinking.- Ansel Elgort
I love when a girl is like, ‘I can’t hang out. I have to go to class.’ And I go pick her up, and she’s all sweaty in a leotard with her hair in a bun. That’s the hottest thing ever.- Ansel Elgort
A lot of high school students on TV and in Broadway are played by people in their late 20s and even early 30s. That seems weird to me.- Ansel Elgort