Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Betty White. Check it out!
Betty White was born in Oak Park, Illinois, to Christine Tess (Cachikis), a homemaker, and Horace Logan White, a lighting company executive for the Crouse-Hinds Electric Company. She is of Danish, Greek, English, and Welsh descent.
Interesting Facts about Betty White
- She is a Democrat and through the years has endorsed Franklin D. Roosevelt, Adlai Stevenson, John F. Kennedy, Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton and Barack Obama.
- Began her career as the Phone Girl on Al Jarvis’s afternoon television show in Los Angeles, California.
- Was portraying the conniving, gold-digging Ellen Harper, the niece of Rue McClanahan, who played the prudish Aunt Fran on Mama’s Family (1983) at the same time as they were working together on The Golden Girls (1985) in almost opposite roles.
- Beloved frequent guest celebrity/panelist on numerous game shows, including every version of Password (1961), The Hollywood Squares (Daytime) (1965), Match Game (1973), The $10,000 Pyramid (1973), and countless others.
- Best known for her starring role as Rose Nylund on The Golden Girls (1985).
- As of November 2019, Betty White is the last surviving cast member of The Golden Girls (1985).
- Betty was originally considered for the role of the sexpot Blanche Deveraeux on The Golden Girls (1985). However, Betty had already been the aggressive Sue Ann Nivens on The Mary Tyler Moore Show (1970) and Rue McClanahan had played the introverted Vivian Cavender on Maude (1972). It was thought best not to have these two actresses reprise similar characters. Therefore, Betty got the role of naive Rose Nylund and Rue played the oversexed Blanche Deveraeux.
- Had begun writing plays when she was in grammar school.
- Admitted to having had cosmetic surgery before The Golden Girls (1985), even though the program was about growing old and not having a problem with it.
- Attended and graduated from Beverly Hills High School in Beverly Hills, California (1939), at age 17.
- Her paternal grandfather, Christopher Hans Christian White, was Danish, and her maternal grandfather, Nicholas Cachikis, was Greek. Her grandmothers, both Canadian-born, had English and Welsh ancestry.
- Is strongly critical of reality television.
Personal Quotes by Betty White
Don’t try to be young. Just open your mind. Stay interested in stuff. There are so many things I won’t live long enough to find out about, but I’m still curious about them. You know people who are already saying, ‘I’m going to be 30 – oh, what am I going to do?’ Well, use that decade! Use them all!- Betty White
Wilderness is harder and harder to find these days on this beautiful planet, and we’re abusing our planet to the point of almost no return.- Betty White
I’m not into animal rights. I’m only into animal welfare and health. I’ve been with the Morris Animal Foundation since the ’70s. We’re a health organization. We fund campaign health studies for dogs, cats, lizards and wildlife. I’ve worked with the L.A. Zoo for about the same length of time. I get my animal fixes!- Betty White
If you’re walking with your lady on the sidewalk, I still like to see a man walking street-side, to protect the lady from traffic. I grew up with that, and I hate to see something like that get lost. I still like to see that a man opens the door. I like those touches of chivalry that are fast disappearing.- Betty White
I’m in the acting business. That’s the ego business.- Betty White