Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Bill Pullman. Check it out!
William James Pullman was born in Hornell, New York, one of seven children of Johanna (Blaas), a nurse, and James Pullman, a doctor. He is of Dutch (mother) and English, Northern Irish, and Scottish (father) descent. After high school, Bill went into a building construction program at SUNY Delhi in New York. He transferred to State University of New York College at Oneonta where he received his BA in Theater. He received both his MFA in Theater/Directing and an honorary PHD from University of Massachusetts at Amherst. While teaching Directing at Montana State University in Bozeman, Montana, one of Bill’s students was the soon-to-be film director John Dahl, who later cast Mr. Pullman in “The Last Seduction”.
Interesting Facts about Bill Pullman
- Attended the State University of New York at Oneonta in the mid-’70s, but did not graduate. However, he was guest speaker for the Oneonta graduating class of 1992.
- Children: Maesa Pullman (b. 1988), Jack Pullman (b. 1989), Lewis Pullman (b. 1993).
- Brother teaches English at Ithaca High School in Ithaca, NY
- All three of his children are musicians.
- Lost his sense of smell after a head injury and two-day coma.
- Considers Liebestraum (1991) to be one of his best films.
- Inducted into the Steuben County [New York] Hall of Fame.
- Appeared in both Cold Feet (1989) and Bright Angel (1990) during the time he was teaching at Montana State University in Bozeman. “Bright Angel” is one of the few films in which he played a bad guy. “Cold Feet” was shot in Livingston, MT, only 30 miles or so from Bozeman, and “Bright Angel” was shot entirely in and around Billings, MT.
- Currently co-owns a ranch in Montana with his brother.
- Appearing in Edward Albee’s play, “The Goat” (Winner – Best Play 2002 Tony Awards). [June 2002]
- While teaching at Montana State University one of his students was director John Dahl. Later Dahl gave him a role in his film The Last Seduction (1994).
- Nominated for 2018 Critics’ Choice Television Award in the Best Actor in a Movie/Miniseries category for his role as Harry Ambrose in The Sinner (2017).
Personal Quotes by Bill Pullman
I co-own the ranch with my brother, and he and his wife are really the backbone of the operation.- Bill Pullman
You’re always carrying something that’s interfering. It’s like static noise that doesn’t have to be there, and you have to school yourself to clean that out.- Bill Pullman
Fox was interested in a different title to ‘Independence Day.’- Bill Pullman
There’s a point you get to on the stage where you’re not remembering lines but living them, and you reach this pure moment which, really, is more intense than what you can achieve in life.- Bill Pullman
I also turn down what’s probably a good amount of coinage to be made out of playing dads, an incredible number of obnoxious dad.- Bill Pullman