Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Cate Blanchett. Check it out!
Cate Blanchett was born on May 14, 1969 in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, to June (Gamble), an Australian teacher and property developer, and Robert DeWitt Blanchett, Jr., an American advertising executive, originally from Texas. She has an older brother and a younger sister. When she was ten years old, her 40-year-old father died of a sudden heart attack. Her mother never remarried, and her grandmother moved in to help her mother.
Interesting Facts about Cate Blanchett
- Has an older brother named Bob who works in the computer field, and a younger sister, Genevieve who is a theater designer.
- Good friends with actress Nicole Kidman and Toni Collette.
- She has worked with 9 directors who have won a Best Director Oscar: Anthony Minghella, Barry Levinson, Peter Jackson, Ron Howard, Martin Scorsese, Steven Soderbergh, Alejandro G. Iñárritu, Steven Spielberg, and Woody Allen.
- Shared the cover of Vanity Fair magazine’s 2016 Hollywood issue with, Jane Fonda, Viola Davis, Jennifer Lawrence, Charlotte Rampling, Rachel Weisz, Lupita Nyong’o, Brie Larson, Alicia Vikander, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Helen Mirren, Diane Keaton and Saoirse Ronan. Photographed by Annie Leibovitz.
- She was on set for only 8 days to shoot her scenes for The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012) and the two follow-ups.
- Was the 126th actress to receive an Academy Award; she won the Best Supporting Actress Oscar for The Aviator (2004) at The 77th Annual Academy Awards (2005) on February 27, 2005.
- In 2009, she was among four Oscar-winning Australian actors to be immortalized onto postage stamps in their home country. Each of the actors has two stamps, showing them both in and out of character.
- Was originally cast as Mrs. Fox in Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009), but was later replaced by Meryl Streep.
- In 2014, during the Press Conference of How to Train Your Dragon 2 (2014) at the Cannes Film Festival, a journalist asked Blanchett who’s better between her and Marion Cotillard, she answered saying that Cotillard is better and praised her performances in La Vie En Rose (2007) and Rust and Bone (2012) and also said that she couldn’t wait to see Cotillard as Lady Macbeth [in Macbeth (2015)].
- Turned down the role of Agatha in Steven Spielberg’s film Minority Report (2002) (2002). The role eventually went to Samantha Morton who co-starred alongside her in Elizabeth: The Golden Age (2007).
- (December 29, 1997) Married her boyfriend of a year Andrew Upton. They met in 1996 on the set of a TV show. The wedding took place in the National Park “Blue Mountains” in New South Wales. She claimed that they didn’t take any photographs, because they couldn’t afford a photographer, even though she was already a working actress, and in fact, shortly after the wedding, she started filming the title role in Elizabeth (1998).
- Was listed as a potential nominee for the 2008 Razzies (but did not make the final ballot) for her performance as “Queen Elizabeth I” in Elizabeth: The Golden Age (2007), a performance that earned her another Oscar nomination. Had she earned a Razzie nod, she would have been one of the few actors to have a Razzie and Oscar nomination for the same performance.
Personal Quotes by Cate Blanchett
I miss Brighton enormously, enormously. There is so much I miss, including rain. I miss the verdant countryside.- Cate Blanchett
There is a societal cost of increased pollution, and that’s what I’m passionate about as a mother.- Cate Blanchett
You know you’ve made it when you’ve been moulded in miniature plastic. But you know what children do with Barbie dolls – it’s a bit scary, actually.- Cate Blanchett
Violence and racism are bad. Whenever they occur they are to be condemned and we should not turn a blind eye to them.- Cate Blanchett
There’s an expression in Australia that’s called ‘Go Bush,’ which means to get out of the city and relax. I try and ‘go bush’ to places where there’s no cell reception. But, I don’t get to do that often, so for the most part, it’s just a state of mind.- Cate Blanchett