Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Catherine O'Hara. Check it out!
Canadian actress, writer, and comedian, Catherine O’Hara gained recognition as one of the original cast members on the Canadian television sketch comedy show SCTV (1976). On the series, she impersonated the likes of Lucille Ball, Tammy Faye Bakker, Gilda Radner, Katharine Hepburn, and Brooke Shields. O’Hara stayed with the show for its entirety (1976-1984). She went on to devote her talents to several films directed by Tim Burton, including Beetlejuice (1988), The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993) and later, Frankenweenie (2012). O’Hara also frequently collaborated with director and writer, Christopher Guest, appearing in his mockumentary films, three of which earned her awards and nominations; Waiting for Guffman (1996), Best in Show (2000), A Mighty Wind (2003), and For Your Consideration (2006). Recently, O’Hara can be seen on the Canadian television comedy series Schitt’s Creek (2015). Her work in the series earned two Canadian Screen Awards for Best Lead Actress (2016 and 2017).
Interesting Facts about Catherine O'Hara
- Sister of critically acclaimed singer/songwriter Mary Margaret O’Hara.
- Crowned Queen of Comedy after her years as a regular on SCTV (1976). Catherine O’Hara has an almost religious cult following around the world.
- In 2013, she participated in “Danny Elfman’s Music from the Films of Tim Burton” to perform “Sally’s Song” from The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993). She received a standing ovation when she entered the stage, as well as when she left.
- Auditioned for the role of Jane Craig in Broadcast News (1987). Holly Hunter was cast instead.
- After securing Macaulay Culkin, Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern for Home Alone (1990), Chris Columbus felt confident enough to cast actors who were his heroes growing up, like O’Hara after seeing her work on SCTV (1976) as well as John Heard, and Tim Curry and Rob Schneider on Home Alone 2: Lost in New York (1992) because they were all open to the films.
- Is one of 7 children.
- Has appeared in two unconnected adaptations of Daniel Handler’s book series “A Series of Unfortunate Events”; As Justice Strauss in A Series of Unfortunate Events (2004) and as Dr. Georgina Orwell in A Series of Unfortunate Events (2016).
- Has a congenital condition called “Situs Inversus” in which the organs of the chest and abdomen are arranged in a perfect mirror image reversal of the normal positioning. Most people with situs inversus have no medical symptoms or complications resulting from the condition and it only occurs in less than 1 in 10,000.
- Stars in two Holiday classics, Home Alone (1990) and The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993), that are annually given a theatrical December-re-release around the world.
- Received a star on Canada’s Walk of Fame in June 2007.
- She was part of the group Northern Lights who sang the song “Tears Are Not Enough” which was on the “We Are The World” album.
- Her acting mentor was Comedian Gilda Radner.
Personal Quotes by Catherine O'Hara
To this day, I’ve found that it doesn’t matter what a guy looks like if he’s really funny. His sense of humor makes him attractive. On the other hand, you don’t hear men saying, ‘No she’s not pretty, but is she ever funny!’- Catherine O'Hara
I think everyone is born with humor, but your life can beat it out of you, sadly, or you can be lucky enough to grow up in it.- Catherine O'Hara
If Chance the Rapper was on tour in L.A., I would try and play with him. I love him.- Catherine O'Hara
It’s scary when you look at how kids age, because you think, ‘Am I aging at that rate, too?’- Catherine O'Hara
You’ve got muscles and you use them everywhere else in your body when you want it. Why not your face?- Catherine O'Hara