Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Cher. Check it out!
The beat goes on … and on … and as strong as ever for this superstar entertainer who has well surpassed the four-decade mark while improbably transforming herself from an artificial, glossy “flashionplate” singer into a serious, Oscar-worthy, dramatic actress … and back again! With more ups and downs than the 2008 Dow Jones Industrial Average, Cher managed to rise like a phoenix from the ashes each time she was down, somehow re-inventing herself with every decade and finding herself on top all over again. As a singer Cher is the only performer to have earned “top 10” hit singles in four consecutive decades; as an actress, she and Barbra Streisand are the only two Best Actress Oscar winners to have a #1 hit song on the Billboard charts. At age 62, Cher has yet to decide to get completely off her fabulous roller coaster ride, although she has threatened to on occasion.
Interesting Facts about Cher
- Considers her performance as Rusty Dennis in Mask (1985) to be her finest work onscreen.
- Is a huge fan of Katharine Hepburn.
- Songwriter Bobby Russell had initially offered the song “The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia” to Cher for her to record. However, when he brought a demo recording to her she was out shopping and asked her husband Sonny Bono to listen to it. After listening to it, Sonny told Russell that he not only would he allow Cher to do the song, but he also thought it would cause her to lose fans in the south. Russell wound up giving the song to his then wife Vicki Lawrence who not only had a hit with it, but it wound up topping the Billboard Hot 100 for two weeks and sold over a million copies.
- Her Oscar-winning part in Moonstruck (1987) was originally offered to Sally Field, who turned it down.
- According to an interview on Good Morning Britain (1983), was rejected as being too old to play Robert Redford’s love interest in Legal Eagles (1986) even though she’s ten years younger than Redford.
- Ranked #43 on VH1’s “100 Greatest Women of Rock N Roll”.
- Was called to be offered the role in The Witches of Eastwick (1987) on the morning of her 40th birthday.
- Suffers from fear of flying.
- Mother of Chaz Bono with Sonny Bono and Elijah Allman with Gregg Allman.
- In early 2009, she and Johnny Knoxville were attached to star in a comedy called “The Drop Out”. The film would have featured Knoxville as a 30-something slacker who gets kicked out of his parents house and decides to shack up with the cougar next door, to be played by Cher. No reason given as to why it wasn’t made, but Cher was still holding a torch for the project as of late 2010.
- Her birthday card is the Queen of Clubs.
- Was in consideration for the role of Lilly Dillon in The Grifters (1990) but Anjelica Huston, who went on to receive a Best Actress Oscar nomination for her performance, was cast instead.
Personal Quotes by Cher
I only answer to two people, myself and God.Cher
I don’t know what else I would be if I wasn’t me. I am not looking from the outside, looking back. I am who I am.Cher
I can’t spell or do grammar, but I’m smarter and more serious than people think. I’m no featherweight when it comes to digging deep and being involved. So many stars I know do so much. It’s our duty to give back.Cher
If you’re black in this country, if you’re a woman in this country, if you are any minority in this country at all, what could possibly possess you to vote Republican?Cher
Some years I’m the coolest thing that ever happened, and then the next year everyone’s so over me, and I’m just so past my sell date.Cher