Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Christian Slater. Check it out!
Christian Michael Leonard Slater was born on August 18, 1969 in New York City, to Michael Hawkins, a well-known soap actor, and Mary Jo Slater (née Lawton), a casting agent. Christian started in show business early, appearing on the soap opera The Edge of Night (1956) in 1976 at the age of 7. He went on to star in many Broadway shows in the early-1980s. He rose to fame in Hollywood after landing the role of Binx Davey in The Legend of Billie Jean (1985). He moved to Los Angeles in 1987 to pursue a further acting career after dropping out of high school. After having a starring role in the cult classic Heathers (1989), he became somewhat known as the Hollywood bad-boy, having many run-ins with the law. He is also well-known for having dated stars such as Winona Ryder, Christina Applegate, Samantha Mathis and was at one time engaged to actress/model Nina Huang. In 2000, he married Ryan Haddon, the daughter of 1970s model Dayle Haddon. The couple have two children, Jaden Christopher (b. 1999) and Eliana Sophia (b. 2001). As of early 2005, they separated and later divorced, but remain dedicated to bring up their children.
Interesting Facts about Christian Slater
- Sold his house in Brentwood, California, to move back to his native New York. [November 2005]
- The trousers worn by him in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (1991) are the same ones worn by William Shatner in Star Trek II – The Wrath of Khan (1982). He noticed the name label still inside them. In subsequent interviews, he quipped that he was “proud” to get into Shatner’s pants.
- He is of German, Irish, English, Welsh, and small amounts of Dutch and Scottish, ancestry.
- (January 14, 1998) Starts three month jail sentence. Released after 59 days for good behavior.
- Was listed as a potential nominee on the 2006 Razzie Award nominating ballot. He was a suggestion in the Worst Actor category for his performances in Alone in the Dark (2005) and Mindhunters (2004). However, he failed to receive a nomination, had he gotten the nomination, it would have been his first in 14 years. He was previously nominated for Worst Supporting Actor at the 1992 Razzie Awards for his roles in Mobsters (1991) and Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (1991)).
- Made his theater debut in the musical “The Music Man” at age 9.
- (August 11, 1997) Arrested by Los Angeles police and charged with three counts of assault with a deadly weapon and one count of battery.
- Chosen by Empire magazine as one of the 100 Sexiest Stars in film history (#79) (1995).
- During his interview and director’s commentary on the DVD for The Name of the Rose (1986), director Jean-Jacques Annaud reported that after 15-year-old Christian Slater had been cast as “Adso of Melk”, he was asked to read with three actresses auditioning for the role of “The Girl”. He read first with Valentina Vargas and was scheduled to read with the other two actresses the next day, but that evening, he sent his mother (casting agent Mary Jo Slater) to tell Annaud that young Christian was so smitten with the 22-year-old Vargas that he didn’t want the other two women to be considered. Annaud, amused, complied with Slater’s wish.
- (December 1, 1997) Sentenced to three months in jail (he served 59 days in a private Los Angeles jail in La Verne, California), and 36 months probation for assaulting his girlfriend Michelle Jonas and a police officer, as well as cocaine abuse.
- Shares the exact same birthday as fellow actor Edward Norton (August 18, 1969).
- Good friends with actress Sandra Bernhard.
Personal Quotes by Christian Slater
I took a lot of time off after Mobsters and although I did something I had never done before, which was to direct a play, The Laughter Epidemic, it felt like a vacation.- Christian Slater
When I did ‘Young Guns II,’ I hung out with Emilio and Kiefer, and I once took a trip with Rob Lowe – we jumped trains.- Christian Slater
I think games are starting to branch out. It’s not just guys sitting at their computer stations. Games are so fun, that everybody gets into them a little bit.- Christian Slater
I don’t think of myself as offbeat and weird. As a kid, I saw myself as the type of guy who would run into a burning building to save the baby.- Christian Slater
As you get older you learn some balance and mediation in your life – that’s where I am right now. I feel pretty comfortable about things.- Christian Slater