Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Christopher Meloni. Check it out!
Blessed with a piercing, blue-eyed glint, brawny looks, cocky “tough guy” stance and effortless charisma, TV’s Christopher Meloni has grabbed audiences’ attention, male and female alike, finding breakthrough small screen stardom playing both sides of the law. Audiences first were taken in by his sexually arresting portrayal of a sociopathic killer in the gripping prison drama Oz (1997) on cable TV. Although his small screen roots were in 90s situation comedy, the network powers-that-be wisely discovered his power and allure as a dramatic star and quickly handed him his own prime-time crime series, Law & Order: Special Victims Unit (1999), as a not-quite-by-the-book crime detective. This one-two punch of “Oz” and Law & Order: Special Victims Unit (1999) put Meloni, who seems to grow sexier with age, on the map and well on top, where he remains today.
Interesting Facts about Christopher Meloni
- First met the co-writer and his co-star from Wet Hot American Summer (2001) and Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp (2015) Michael Showalter at a chess shop in New York City without knowing he was also an actor. Meloni stated he regretted having beat Showalter at chess when he was auditioning for the film.
- Originally from Washington DC, Chris now lives in New York with his production designer wife, Sherman Williams. Chris worked as a construction worker prior to getting his acting break. He got a degree in history at the University of Colorado.
- Used to work as a bouncer, a bartender, and a personal trainer before launching his acting career.
- Daughter Sophia Eva Pietra, born in Los Angeles on March 23, 2001. Son Dante Amadeo, born in New York on January 2, 2004. Both were born by a surrogate mother.
- He is currently playing “Eddie Carbone” in Arthur Miller’s “A View From A Bridge” in The Gate Theatre, Dublin. It runs until the end of September. [August 2005]
- Signed a deal to continue Law & Order: Special Victims Unit (1999) for two more seasons in which he will be paid $6.5 million annually (2007).
- Close friends with Mariska Hargitay.
- Is half Italian, half French-Canadian (Quebecois)
- Godmother of his daughter Sophia is Mariska Hargitay.
- He wears a fake tattoo of the United States Marine Corps emblem (the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor) on his arm for his role in SVU (as seen in Law & Order: Special Victims Unit Season 7 episodes, Season 8, Episode 8: “Underbelly” and Season 6, Episode 5: “Outcry”.) He has a real tattoo of a butterfly on his upper thigh, and a cubist representation of the crucifixion of Christ tattooed on his upper left arm.
- John Travolta encouraged him to become a pilot and he has a license to fly a jet.
- Is often said to resemble a young Robert De Niro.
Personal Quotes by Christopher Meloni
I’ve written a couple screenplays and half-finished plays.- Christopher Meloni
I still have a dream of one day – I would love to hire a semi-retired contractor and just build a house – him and I building a house for me. I would truly love to do that.- Christopher Meloni
My first thought when I came here was that I understood why there are so many great Irish writers – because there is something mystical in the air. There’s always this cloudy, moody sky and it’s challenging.- Christopher Meloni
I’m just an actor, but if the extra part of it is that I’m helping people or people are being helped by the virtue of what we’re doing, then that’s just a really nice added extra.- Christopher Meloni
I love feeling the crispness of fall and the sensuality of spring.- Christopher Meloni