Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Christopher Nolan. Check it out!
Best known for his cerebral, often nonlinear, storytelling, acclaimed writer-director Christopher Nolan was born on July 30, 1970, in London, England. Over the course of 15 years of filmmaking, Nolan has gone from low-budget independent films to working on some of the biggest blockbusters ever made.
Interesting Facts about Christopher Nolan
- Was offered to direct Troy (2004).
- He is the first non-American director to direct a Batman film.
- He has directed one film that has been selected for the National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being “culturally, historically or aesthetically” significant: Memento (2000).
- Described the IMAX format, which he is particularly fond of, as “virtual reality without the goggles”.
- His top ten favorite movies are: 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968), The Black Hole (1979), Blade Runner (1982), Chinatown (1974), The Hitcher (1986), Lawrence of Arabia (1962), On Her Majesty’s Secret Service (1969)), Star Wars: Episode IV – A New Hope (1977), The Man Who Would Be King (1975) and Topkapi (1964), as well as anything by Stanley Kubrick.
- Is a huge fan of James Bond, and said to David S. Goyer, that his favorite James Bond movie is On Her Majesty’s Secret Service (1969).
- Drinks Earl Grey Tea often on set.
- He completely financed his first feature Following (1998) himself and produced it without any additional funding.
- Honored with a hand-print and foot-print ceremony at Grauman’s Chinese Theater in Los Angeles, California on July 7, 2012.
- His most recent films were filmed under fake titles named for his children: The Dark Knight (2008) was “Rory’s First Kiss”, Inception (2010) was “Oliver’s Arrow”, The Dark Knight Rises (2012) was “Magnus Rex”, and Interstellar (2014) was “Flora’s Letter”.
- Unadjusted for inflation, Christopher Nolan is only the second director after James Cameron to make two films that have grossed more than $1 billion at the worldwide box office (The Dark Knight (2008) and The Dark Knight Rises (2012)). However, Nolan is the first director to have released both of the films in 2D only.
- Nephew of John Nolan and Kim Hartman.
Personal Quotes by Christopher Nolan
For the last 10 years, I’ve felt increasing pressure to stop shooting film and start shooting video, but I’ve never understood why. It’s cheaper to work on film, it’s far better looking, it’s the technology that’s been known and understood for a hundred years, and it’s extremely reliable.– Christopher Nolan
I never considered myself a lucky person. I’m the most extraordinary pessimist. I truly am.– Christopher Nolan
I’ve been interested in dreams since I as a kid and I’ve wanted to do a film about them for a long time.– Christopher Nolan
I think there are advantages to different scales of filmmaking. You wouldn’t want to do just one thing.– Christopher Nolan
To be honest, I don’t enjoy watching movies much when I’m working. They tend to fall apart on me a bit.– Christopher Nolan