Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Cillian Murphy. Check it out!
Striking Irish actor Cillian Murphy was born in Douglas, the oldest child of Brendan Murphy, who works for the Irish Department of Education, and a mother who is a teacher of French. He has three younger siblings. Murphy was educated at Presentation Brothers College, Cork. He went on to study law at University College Cork, but dropped out after about a year. During this time Murphy also pursued an interest in music, playing guitar in various bands. Upon leaving University, Murphy joined the Corcadorca Theater Company in Cork, and played the lead role in “Disco Pigs”, amongst other plays.
Interesting Facts about Cillian Murphy
- Good friends with Colin Farrell and Jonathan Rhys Meyers.
- Is a huge fan of Doctor Who (1963).
- Is an occasional guest DJ on BBC Radio 6 Music.
- He greatly admires actor Liam Neeson. Looks at him as a surrogate movie father.
- Although he is a vegetarian, he learned to chop up meat in an abattoir for his role as butcher in Girl with a Pearl Earring (2003).
- An intensely private person, he prefers not to speak about his personal life and did not appear on any live TV chat shows until 2010.
- His father was a school inspector and his mother was a French teacher.
- His American accent, when auditioning for Batman Begins (2005), was so convincing that the casting directors had no clue he was really from Ireland.
- As of 2006, he is the most nominated Irish actor at the Irish Film and Television Awards with six nominations.
- Took part in a campaign video in support of the repealing of Article 8 of the Constitution of Ireland that consecrated human lives from their conception and banned abortion.
- Used to be a vegetarian for 12 years. When he started eating meat again, it was venison.
- Sons Malachy and Aran Murphy were both born in Sweden.
Personal Quotes by Cillian Murphy
It was very much about performances, the whole ensemble thing was just great – everybody working together. Sometimes it didn’t feel like a film set. It wasn’t technically driven, it was very, very enjoyable.- Cillian Murphy
I loved living in London in my 20s and 30s, but after a while, you kind of go, ‘Right, is this it? Is this it for the rest of my days? Or is there some other possibility?’- Cillian Murphy
It’s obvious that if you’re going to play a character you need to amass information about that person and about their environment or their era that they’re in and use as little or as much as necessary.- Cillian Murphy
I remember being 18 and being fed up with everything – fed up with society, fed up with the political system, fed up with myself – and then you kind of go, ‘Actually, this voting thing is amazing,’ because you have a chance to change it, right?- Cillian Murphy
For me, it’s about being at home and living a life. Taking the dog for a walk, doing the shopping, emptying the dishwasher, going for a run.- Cillian Murphy