Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Cuba Gooding Jr.. Check it out!
Cuba Gooding Jr. was born on January 2, 1968, in The Bronx, New York. His mother, Shirley (Sullivan), was a backup singer for The Sweethearts. His father, Cuba Gooding, was the lead vocalist for the R&B group The Main Ingredient, which had a hit with the song “Everybody Plays The Fool”. His paternal grandfather was from Barbados.
Interesting Facts about Cuba Gooding Jr.
- Was discovered by eccentric Hollywood agent, Coralie Jr., for his break-dancing talent. He thanked Coralie in his acceptance speech when he received the academy award for his best supporting role in Jerry Maguire (1996).
- Chosen by “People” magazine as one of the 50 most beautiful people in the world. 
- Son of Cuba Gooding, lead singer of The Main Ingredient singing group (“Everybody Plays The Fool”).
- Born in the Bronx but raised in Los Angeles, his parents once managed the Apollo Theatre in New York.
- Was a backup dancer for Paula Abdul.
- Sons: Spencer Gooding, born in 1994, and Mason Gooding, born in 1996.
- As of 2015, has appeared in four films that were nominated for the Best Picture Oscar: A Few Good Men (1992), Jerry Maguire (1996), As Good as It Gets (1997) and Selma (2014).
- Turned down the leading role of Cinque in Amistad (1997).
- Occasionally plays a member of the armed forces or law enforcement. He played “Petty Officer Doris Miller” in Pearl Harbor (2001), “Senior Chief Carl Brashear” in Men of Honour (2000), “Corporal Carl Hammaker” in A Few Good Men (1992) and “Officer Alvarez” in Hitz (1992).
- In a 2018 interview with The Guardian, he listed turning down lead roles in Amistad (1997), Collateral (2004), Hotel Rwanda (2004), Ray (2004), and The Last King of Scotland (2006) as serious errors of judgment (“I’m kicking my balls in this interview”).
- When Cuba became a member of AMPAS in 1993, he was sponsored by actors Dustin Hoffman and Kevin Spacey.
- His father, Cuba Gooding, is a Goodwill Ambassador to Rosarito, Baja California, Mexico. On Dec. 5. 2009, he received a “key” to the city from Mayor Torres.
Personal Quotes by Cuba Gooding Jr.
There are roles I want that my agency might not want me to do because of the subject matter or whatever. Or there are roles that people won’t bring to me because they don’t think I’ll do it. And that is a big strain because an actor wants to act.- Cuba Gooding Jr.
My wife and I have been together since 1986. I graduated in ’86 and she graduated in ’88. We began dating when she was 17. Actually she turned 18 when we started kissing and stuff.- Cuba Gooding Jr.
I’m not a prude. On the set, they called me ‘Butt Naked.’- Cuba Gooding Jr.
As an actor you have to bring to the table your creative input. But when a director like Ridley Scott says I want you to do this this way, you know when he gets to the editing room he has a reason for it. It’s like watching a masterpiece.- Cuba Gooding Jr.