Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Danny DeVito. Check it out!
Danny DeVito has amassed a formidable and versatile body of work as an actor, producer and director that spans the stage, television and film.
Interesting Facts about Danny DeVito
- In addition to his multiple films with Jack Nicholson (The Joker in Batman (1989)), he has acted alongside every actor to play a villain in the original Batman film franchise with the exceptions of Tommy Lee Jones (Two-Face in Batman Forever (1995)) and Jeep Swenson (Bane in Batman & Robin (1997)): with Arnold Schwarzenegger (Mr. Freeze in Batman & Robin) in Twins (1988), Last Action Hero (1993), and Junior (1994); Jim Carrey (The Riddler in Batman Forever) in Man on the Moon (1999); and Uma Thurman (Poison Ivy in Batman Forever) in Be Cool (2005). Furthermore, he produced A Walk Among the Tombstones (2014), starring Liam Neeson (Ra’s Al Ghul in Batman Begins (2005) and The Dark Knight Rises (2012)), and starred in Solitary Man (2009) alongside Jesse Eisenberg (Lex Luthor in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)).
- First connection with Michael Douglas happened when he starred in a New York stage production of “Down the Morning Line” in 1969, directed by Douglas and written by Martin Sheen.
- Co-starred with Michael Douglas in Romancing the Stone (1984), The Jewel of the Nile (1985), The War of the Roses (1989) and Solitary Man (2009). DeVito also starred in One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (1975), which Douglas produced.
- Went to Oratory Prepatory School in Summit, NJ.
- Directed one Oscar-nominated performance: Anne Ramsey in Throw Momma from the Train (1987).
- Of all the actors from the Tim Burton/Joel Schumacher Batman films, DeVito (as actor, producer, and/or director) has had the most affiliation with other actors from the franchise in non-Batman productions. Outside of Batman, he has been involved with the same film and TV series as Michael Keaton, Jack Nicholson, Tracey Walter, Kim Basinger, Christopher Walken, Vincent Schiavelli, Paul Reubens, Steve Witting, Jim Carrey, George Clooney, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Uma Thurman and more.
- A staunch supporter of the Democratic Party.
- In Romancing the Stone (1984), he makes a Batman-related joke, when he corners Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner in the cave (“Move it, before Batman comes home!”). Eight years later, he played “the Penguin” in Batman Returns (1992).
- He was awarded a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 6906 Hollywood Blvd. on August 18, 2011.
- He was considered to voice Pikachu in Pokémon Detective Pikachu (2019) before Ryan Reynolds was cast.
- Supported Bernie Sanders in the 2016 U.S. Presidential Election.
- Before he became an actor he was a qualified hairdresser (stylist).
Personal Quotes by Danny DeVito
The son has always felt like he was a footnote in one of the stories the father tells. The father is an amazing storyteller and one of the tales that he tells is how he met his wife.- Danny DeVito
So, you pick this stuff here and this stuff there and then you see things in certain ways and you start visualizing and thank God I get the chance to do this. It’s really the greatest thing in the whole wide world.- Danny DeVito
I’ve been to the Leaning Tower of Pisa. It’s a tower, and it’s leaning. You look at it, but nothing happens, so then you look for someplace to get a sandwich.- Danny DeVito
People come into your lives who you have a good time with, and time goes by and you still have a good time with them and you do stupid stuff with them. To me, that’s life.- Danny DeVito