Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about David Fincher. Check it out!
David Fincher was born in 1962 in Denver, Colorado, and was raised in Marin County, California. When he was 18 years old he went to work for John Korty at Korty Films in Mill Valley. He subsequently worked at ILM (Industrial Light and Magic) from 1981-1983. Fincher left ILM to direct TV commercials and music videos after signing with N. Lee Lacy in Hollywood. He went on to found Propaganda in 1987 with fellow directors Dominic Sena, Greg Gold and Nigel Dick. Fincher has directed TV commercials for clients that include Nike, Coca-Cola, Budweiser, Heineken, Pepsi, Levi’s, Converse, AT&T and Chanel. He has directed music videos for Madonna, Sting, The Rolling Stones, Michael Jackson, Aerosmith, George Michael, Iggy Pop, The Wallflowers, Billy Idol, Steve Winwood, The Motels and, most recently, A Perfect Circle.
Interesting Facts about David Fincher
- He is the second director (following Steve Barron) to receive a MTV Video Music Award nomination for three different music videos within a single year. He first achieved this in 1989 (for Jody Watley’s “Real Love,” Steve Winwood’s Roll with It” & Madonna’s “Express Yourself”). After tying this record, he repeated the feat in 1990 with nominations for Madonna’s “Vogue,” Don Henley’s “The End of the Innocence,” and Aerosmith’s “Janie’s Got a Gun.” He is the only director to achieve this twice, and along with Steve Barron, the only director to achieve it.
- Daughter, Phelix Imogen Fincher (b. 25 April 1994), with Donya Fiorentino.
- Turned down the offer to direct Batman Begins (2005).
- He is one of the first music video directors to have become a major Hollywood feature-filmmaker. In later years, several directors followed in his footsteps including Zack Snyder, Spike Jonze, Alex Proyas, Marc Webb, Jonathan Dayton, Valerie Faris, F. Gary Gray, Francis Lawrence as well as several directors who worked with Fincher’s music video production company Propaganda Films.
- His video for Madonna’s “Express Yourself” voted #1 in Slant Magazines Top 100 Videos. 2 of his other Madonna videos also made the list. “Vogue” at #4 & “Oh, Father” at #11. (19th January 2003)
- While growing up in Marin County, one of his neighbors was George Lucas. He later worked on the special effects crew of Star Wars: Episode VI – Return of the Jedi (1983), produced and written by Lucas.
- He has directed two actors who have played Bruce Banner. Edward Norton in Fight Club (1999) and Mark Ruffalo in Zodiac (2007).
- He works frequently with screenwriter Andrew Kevin Walker.
- Was originally considered to direct Confessions of a Dangerous Mind (2002).
- Was originally considered to direct Spider-Man (2002).
- Good friends with Madonna.
- David Fincher’s involvement with cinematographers Harris Savides (Zodiac) and Jeff Cronenweth (Fight Club, The Social Network, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Gone Girl) predates Fincher’s work as a feature-film director. Both cinematographers had worked for Fincher early in his music video directing career.
Personal Quotes by David Fincher
It’s a bad day when you don’t get the work done that you need to get done or you don’t get it done to the satisfaction.- David Fincher
In film, we sculpt time, we sculpt behaviour and we sculpt light.- David Fincher
Hollywood is great. I also think it’s stupid and small-minded and shortsighted.- David Fincher
When I’m watching somebody act, it’s a behavior editorial function – I look at someone act, and I might say, ‘I don’t believe him when he says that.’ I don’t know why I don’t believe him, probably because the people that I’ve met, they don’t act like that when they say stuff like that and mean it.- David Fincher
I think intelligence is totally subjective; it’s like sexiness.- David Fincher