Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Denzel Washington. Check it out!
Denzel Hayes Washington, Jr. was born on December 28, 1954 in Mount Vernon, New York. He is the middle of three children of a beautician mother, Lennis, from Georgia, and a Pentecostal minister father, Denzel Washington, Sr., from Virginia. After graduating from high school, Denzel enrolled at Fordham University, intent on a career in journalism. However, he caught the acting bug while appearing in student drama productions and, upon graduation, he moved to San Francisco and enrolled at the American Conservatory Theater. He left A.C.T. after only one year to seek work as an actor. His first paid acting role was in a summer stock theater stage production in St. Mary’s City, Maryland. The play was “Wings of the Morning”, which is about the founding of the colony of Maryland (now the state of Maryland) and the early days of the Maryland colonial assembly (a legislative body). He played the part of a real historical character, Mathias Da Sousa, although much of the dialogue was created. Afterwards he began to pursue screen roles in earnest. With his acting versatility and powerful presence, he had no difficulty finding work in numerous television productions.
Interesting Facts about Denzel Washington
- At one point, was to star as Dr. Alex Cross in Kiss the Girls (1997), but had to drop out due to scheduling conflicts.
- Became only the sixth actor to win both leading and supporting acting Oscars. The other five are Robert De Niro, Gene Hackman, Kevin Spacey, Jack Lemmon and Jack Nicholson.
- Chosen as People magazine’s Sexiest Man Alive (1996).
- Turned down the role of Detective David Mills in Seven (1995), which went to Brad Pitt.
- Good friends with actress Julia Roberts.
- He was at his mother’s beauty parlor, when a woman getting her hair done saw him and told someone to get her a piece of paper and she wrote at the top “Prophecy” and then wrote that Denzel would grow up and one day speak to millions. Denzel kept the bit of paper in his wallet. The woman was known as a prophetess in their church and community.
- He and his family visited the troops at Brook Army Medical Center, in San Antonio, Texas (BAMC). There are some buildings there called Fisher Houses. The Fisher House is a Hotel where soldiers’ families can stay, for little or no charge, while their soldier is staying in the Hospital. BAMC has quite a few of these houses on base, but as you can imagine, they are almost filled most of the time. He was given a tour of one of the Fisher Houses and subsequent to his visit sent them one of the largest donations they’ve ever received.
- Among his favorite black actors are – Idris Elba and Chiwetel Ejiofor – who happen to be British, and both of whom co-starred with Washington in American Gangster (2007).
- Universal Pictures approached him for the role of Mr. Nobody in Fast & Furious 7 (2015), but he turned down the role. So Kurt Russell was cast instead.
- Broke the pinky finger of his right hand during a childhood basketball accident and never had it set correctly, resulting in the finger healing in a crooked position. The finger is still crooked to this day, bent at the bottom knuckle a full 45 degrees outward from his other fingers.
- Was considered for the role of Detective Ricardo Tubbs on Miami Vice (1984), which went to Philip Michael Thomas.
- For Courage Under Fire (1996), he trained at the National Training Center at Fort Irwin in California, where he qualified on the M1A1 tank and the 120mm gun, participated in battle games and listened to audiotapes of tank battles in Desert Storm.
Personal Quotes by Denzel Washington
The poorest people are the sweetest people.- Denzel Washington
If you have an enemy, then learn and know your enemy, don’t just be mad at him or her.- Denzel Washington
I’ve worked in a factory. I was a garbage man. I worked in a post office. It’s not that long ago. I like to think that I’m just a regular guy.- Denzel Washington
If you don’t trust the pilot, don’t go.- Denzel Washington
If I am a cup maker, I’m interested in making the best cup I possibly can. My effort goes into that cup, not what people think about it.- Denzel Washington