Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Ewan McGregor. Check it out!
Ewan Gordon McGregor was born on March 31, 1971 in Perth, Perthshire, Scotland, to Carol Diane (Lawson) and James Charles McGregor, both teachers. His uncle is actor Denis Lawson. He was raised in Crieff. At age 16, he left Morrison Academy to join the Perth Repertory Theatre. His parents encouraged him to leave school and pursue his acting goals rather than be unhappy. McGregor studied drama for a year at Kirkcaldly in Fife, then enrolled at London’s Guildhall School of Music and Drama for a three-year course. He studied alongside Daniel Craig and Alistair McGowan, among others, and left right before graduating after snagging the role of Private Mick Hopper in Dennis Potter’s six-part Channel 4 series Lipstick on Your Collar (1993). His first notable role was that of Alex Law in Shallow Grave (1994), directed by Danny Boyle, written by John Hodge and produced by Andrew Macdonald. This was followed by The Pillow Book (1996) and Trainspotting (1996), the latter of which brought him to the public’s attention.
Interesting Facts about Ewan McGregor
- He was considered for Hugh Grant’s role in About a Boy (2002).
- Quit drinking alcohol in November 2000.
- Ranked #8 in the 2001 Orange Film Survey of greatest British actors.
- He was up for the male lead in Shopping (1994), losing out to Jude Law.
- He was originally attached to star as Edgar Allan Poe in The Raven (2012), but dropped out.
- His uncle, Denis Lawson, was considered for the role of Captain Antilles in Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith (2005).
- Early career dedicated almost exclusively to indie, low-budget, and non-feature films. When cast as Obi-Wan Kenobi in Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace (1999), an interviewer reminded him of his “aversion” to major films, and he replied “I know what I said, but, hey! This is Star Wars!”.
- He was originally cast as Eddie Dodson in Electric Slide (2014) with Carey Mulligan as his girlfriend but after years in development, both dropped out and were replaced by Jim Sturgess and Isabel Lucas.
- Enjoys playing chess.
- Likes to play the guitar and has even written some of his own songs.
- Is good friends with Naveen Andrews, star of the television series Lost (2004), from drama school.
- Has been involved in a campaign against the closure of the maternity wing of Perth Royal Infirmary, the hospital ward where he was born.
Personal Quotes by Ewan McGregor
As a child I was taken to the pantomime or the theatre and I would always, always fall in love with somebody on the stage. And want to have sex with them.Ewan McGregor
I really want to play Princess Leia. Stick some big pastries on my head. Now that would be interesting.Ewan McGregor
I got married because I fell in love with this woman. I had a baby with her because we wanted to have children. But that’s not because of some philosophical ideal at all, no.Ewan McGregor
When I was a kid I was much happier watching old movies than kids’ TV, and I ended up watching all the old Ealing comedies.Ewan McGregor
Mainly I was able to perform with music – I played the French horn, I would sing, and I was a drummer in the pipe band. So I think it was a way to show off.Ewan McGregor