Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Gary Oldman. Check it out!
Gary Oldman is a talented English movie star and character actor, renowned for his expressive acting style. One of the most celebrated thespians of his generation, with a diverse career encompassing theatre, film and television, he is known for his roles as Sid Vicious in Sid and Nancy (1986), Drexl in True Romance (1993), George Smiley in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2011), and Winston Churchill in Darkest Hour (2017), among many others. For much of his career, he was best-known for playing over-the-top antagonists, such as terrorist Egor Korshunov in the 1997 blockbuster Air Force One (1997), though he has reached a new audience with heroic roles in the Harry Potter and Dark Knight franchises. He is also a filmmaker, musician, and author.
Interesting Facts about Gary Oldman
- His library includes essays on Bertolt Brecht, poetry by Roger McGough, a biography of Montgomery Clift, The Elizabethan World Picture, all things William Shakespeare and Jane Austen.
- He went uncredited for Hannibal (2001) when he was denied star billing with Anthony Hopkins and Julianne Moore.
- Gary was first inspired to pursue an acting career after seeing Malcolm McDowell’s performance in The Raging Moon (1971).
- In 2015, Oldman and his manager Douglas Urbanski signed a deal with the Simon & Schuster/Atria Publishing label Emily Bestler Books for Blood Riders, a vampire book series.
- Has played Lee Harvey Oswald in both JFK (1991) and Frontline: Who Was Lee Harvey Oswald? (1993).
- Has used a different speaking voice (i.e. accent) in practically every movie he has ever been in.
- He is a libertarian, has criticized political correctness and accused Hollywood of a liberal bias, claiming that “conservatives in Hollywood don’t have a podium”. He is also a big admirer of right-wing British politician Winston Churchill, whom he portrayed sympathetically in the film Darkest Hour (2017) and he described as “arguably the greatest Briton who ever lived”.
- Appears in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005) and Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007) with Ralph Fiennes. Both of them have played villains in the Hannibal Lecter series: Fiennes played Francis Dolarhyde in Red Dragon (2002), and Oldman played Mason Verger in Hannibal (2001).
- Member of jury at the Cannes Film Festival in 1993.
- Was a friend of David Bowie and he paid tribute to him at the BRIT awards after David Bowie passed away.
- Starred in David Bowie’s music video David Bowie: The Next Day (2013) alongside Marion Cotillard, his co-star in The Dark Knight Rises (2012).
- He was in the year below the well-known British music journalist and broadcaster Danny Baker at West Greenwich Secondary Modern School, a state school in Deptford, Lewisham, in south east London.
Personal Quotes by Gary Oldman
My passion and energy get mistaken for anger.- Gary Oldman
I got obsessed with classical music, I got obsessed with Chopin, with playing the piano.- Gary Oldman
I applaud anything that can take a kid away from a PlayStation or a Gameboy. That is a miracle in itself.- Gary Oldman
Wanting to be a good actor is not good enough. You must want to be a great actor. You just have to have that.- Gary Oldman
You choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color.- Gary Oldman