Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Gemma Arterton. Check it out!
Gemma Christina Arterton was born in Gravesend, Kent, England, where she was raised. She is the daughter of Sally-Anne (Heap), a cleaner, and Barry J. Arterton, a welder. Her mother’s cousin is singer-songwriter Eric Goulden.
Interesting Facts about Gemma Arterton
- Stated that Gemma Bovery is the character who is more close to how she is in real life.
- Was in a relationship with Spanish stuntman Eduardo Ivan Munoz, having met him on the set of Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (2010). [June 2008]
- Married Stefano Catelli in a secret hilltop ceremony in the village of Zuheros in Spain before family and close friends. Arterton wore a cream-colored gown and held a bouquet of white roses (6 June 2010). The photos of her wedding were published by British newspaper Daily Mail.
- In early 2013 she separated from Stefano Catelli, her husband of two years and later divorced.
- She is a big fan of Kate Bush. She went to the first night of her comeback series of concerts at the Hammersmith Apollo in 2014, then was interviewed about it on Newsnight (1980).
- Gemma’s matrilineal great-grandmother, born Jean Specterman, was Jewish (of Polish Jewish descent). The rest of Gemma’s ancestry is English, with more distant German and Scottish.
- Was in consideration for the role of Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow in Iron Man 2 (2010) after Emily Blunt dropped out of the project, but Scarlett Johansson was cast instead. She also auditioned for the role of Maya Hansen in Iron Man 3 (2013), but Rebecca Hall was cast instead.
- Was born with an extra finger on each hand, a benign condition known as polydactyly, and had the extra digits removed as an infant. The scars from the surgery are virtually unnoticeable today.
- Auditioned for the role of Selina Kyle/Catwoman in The Dark Knight Rises (2012), but Anne Hathaway was cast instead.
- Her grandmother, Helen Sarfas (b. 1939), died at her home in Kent after stabbing herself in the chest with a knife on 8 January 2010. She had battled years of depression and bipolar disorder.
- Stated that she won’t have kids before she wins an Oscar.
- Featured in Empire Magazine’s “The Hot List” as one of the biggest upcoming stars in the 2010’s. Other people on the list were Channing Tatum, Zoe Saldana, Marion Cotillard, Mia Wasikowska and Clash of the Titans (2010) co-star Sam Worthington.
Personal Quotes by Gemma Arterton
I probably should get a bit more star-struck but I never do.- Gemma Arterton
My family was never cultural in that we never went to see plays, my mum wasn’t very into films.- Gemma Arterton
I wouldn’t change a thing in my own life, but I’d like to go back in time anyway though, just to some sort of eras that I wish I’d lived in – like the ’60s. I’d love to have been in London in the ’60s, partying away.- Gemma Arterton
It’s interesting for me to always make myself look very different.- Gemma Arterton
It’s such a male-dominated industry. You can be a feminist, it’s just difficult because it sometimes comes back at you.- Gemma Arterton