Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Gerard Butler. Check it out!
Gerard James Butler was born in Paisley, Scotland, to Margaret and Edward Butler, a bookmaker. His family is of Irish origin. Gerard spent some of his very early childhood in Montreal, Quebec, but was mostly raised, along with his older brother and sister, in his hometown of Paisley. His parents divorced when he was a child, and he and his siblings were raised primarily by their mother, who later remarried. He had no contact with his father between the ages of two and 16 years old, after which time they became close. His father passed away when Gerard was in his early 20s. Butler went on to attend Glasgow University, where he studied to be a lawyer/solicitor. He was president of the school’s law society thanks to his outgoing personality and great social skills.
Interesting Facts about Gerard Butler
- Sang in a rock band whilst training to be a lawyer.
- He stated in an interview, before finally quitting drinking at age 27, that his wild drinking antics would involve smashing bottles over his own head, running in front of cars, and he once woke up in Paris, miles from where he’d been at a party, covered in gashes and blood and, to this day, he has no idea what happened in that incident.
- Was once rumored to be the next James Bond (after Pierce Brosnan). [April 2001]
- Has no formal acting training.
- Was president of the Law society in college.
- On the first day of shooting his film debut in Mrs Brown (1997), he had to run naked into a freezing sea and, as a result, developed hypothermia. Later during the filming, he saved a young boy from drowning in the river Tay and received a Certificate Of Bravery from The Royal Humane Society.
- Had the rock-and-roll voice that Andrew Lloyd Webber always wanted to hear as the Phantom.
- Revealed on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert (2015) in October 2018 that he is the first person in the history of the Scottish legal system to be fired before qualifying as a lawyer.
- His favorite actors are Christian Bale and Gary Oldman.
- Aside from singing in a band in college, he had no prior Musical experience before being cast in the title role of The Phantom of the Opera (2004).
- Worked in a variety of jobs including a waiter, a telemarketer and a demonstrator of how toys work at fairs between acting roles.
- He campaigned for the role of Bruce Wayne/Batman in Batman v Superman: Dawn Of Justice (2016) and was among the actors considered. The role eventually went to Ben Affleck.
Personal Quotes by Gerard Butler
Angelina came up, and as soon as we said hello, I thought, This is going to be great. I’m really going to love doing this with her. And I did. And then I was very excited to do the movie after that.- Gerard Butler
By that point, I had started taking singing lessons. And after the first session, I mean, I was surprised that the windows didn’t shatter. And after the third session, I really didn’t know where this voice had come from.- Gerard Butler
I sang in a rock band when I was training as a lawyer. You know, not professional, we just did it for fun. We just did gigs all over Edinburgh and some in Glasgow and some at festivals.- Gerard Butler
As long as you do the best work that you can and not make it bland… because you’re going down a lane that is trying to make everybody happy. You have to take an angle on these things.- Gerard Butler
I was born in Glasgow. But my family is pretty much from a little town called Paisley, famous for its cotton mills and paisley pattern.- Gerard Butler