Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Greta Gerwig. Check it out!
Greta Gerwig is an American actress, playwright, screenwriter, and director. She has collaborated with Noah Baumbach on several films, including Greenberg (2010), Frances Ha (2012), for which she earned a Golden Globe nomination, and Mistress America (2015). Gerwig made her solo directorial debut with the critically acclaimed comedy-drama film Lady Bird (2017), which she also wrote, and has also had starring roles in the films Damsels in Distress (2011), Jackie (2016), and 20th Century Women (2016).
Interesting Facts about Greta Gerwig
- Is an avid fan of fellow Sacramento author Joan Didion.
- Studied philosophy at Barnard College.
- Gerwig, Oscar-nominated for her directorial debut, joins the rank of other such distinguished artists similarly recognized, namely: Orson Welles (Citizen Kane (1941)), Delbert Mann (Marty (1955)), Sidney Lumet (12 Angry Men (1957)), Jack Clayton (Room at the Top (1959)), Mike Nichols (Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966)), Warren Beatty & Buck Henry (Heaven Can Wait (1978)), Robert Redford (Ordinary People (1980)), Hugh Hudson (Chariots of Fire (1981)), James L. Brooks (Terms of Endearment (1983)), Roland Joffé (The Killing Fields (1984)), Kenneth Branagh (Henry V (1989)), Jim Sheridan (My Left Foot (1989)), Kevin Costner (Dances with Wolves (1990)), John Singleton (Boyz n the Hood (1991)), Spike Jonze (Being John Malkovich (1999)), Sam Mendes (American Beauty (1999)), Rob Marshall (Chicago (2002)), Bennett Miller (Capote (2005)), Tony Gilroy (Michael Clayton (2007)), Benh Zeitlin (Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012)).
- Her real-life parents, Gordon Gerwig and Christine Gerwig, portrayed the parents to her character in Frances Ha (2012). Her father declared that he was reluctant to do it, even though he doesn’t have any lines, as he believed the role should be given to a professional actor.
- Counts Barry Jenkins’ Moonlight (2016) as a major influence.
- Grew up in Sacramento, California.
- Close friend of Adam Driver.
- Member of the ‘Official Competition’ jury at the 64th Berlin International Film Festival in 2014.
- While attending St. Francis Catholic High School (Sacramento), Greta participated in such shows as “Into the Woods,” “The Boy Friend,” “Pippin” and “The Apple Tree” before graduating in 2002.
- In February 2014, it was announced that she would star, produce and occasionally write in the planned spin-off to How I Met Your Mother (2005). This created an outburst in the “blogosphere”, as several fans and writers claimed that Gerwig was failing her indie roots. One writer compared the rage among fans to be “like when Nirvana signed to Geffen Records”.
- Lifelong cinematic crush has been veteran actor John Wayne, especially her memories of him in such titles as Red River (1948) and Rio Bravo (1959).
- Member of the ‘Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences’ (AMPAS) since 2016.
Personal Quotes by Greta Gerwig
Courage doesn’t grow overnight. It can be a long process.- Greta Gerwig
I knew I wanted to be involved with theater or film in any way I could, either as a writer or director or actress.- Greta Gerwig
I think I’ve always wanted to direct, but I didn’t go to film school. I was lucky enough to work in movies, and I think those became my film school in terms of acting and watching directors work and also writing and co-writing and producing.- Greta Gerwig
I’m interested in characters that have just a touch of madness.- Greta Gerwig
I’m not really capable of memorizing stuff without moving around, that’s how I do it.- Greta Gerwig