Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Gwyneth Paltrow. Check it out!
A tall, wafer thin, delicate beauty, Gwyneth Kate Paltrow was born in Los Angeles, the daughter of noted producer and director Bruce Paltrow and Tony Award-winning actress Blythe Danner. Her father was from a Jewish family, while her mother is of mostly German descent. When Gwyneth was eleven, the family moved to Massachusetts, where her father began working in summer stock productions in the Berkshires. It was here that she received her early acting training under the tutelage of her parents. She graduated from the all-girls Spence School in New York City and moved to California where she attended the UC Santa Barbara, majoring in Art History. She soon quit, realizing it was not her passion. She made her film debut with a small part in Shout (1991) and for the next five years had featured roles in a mixed bag of film fare that included Flesh and Bone (1993); Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Circle (1994); Seven (1995); Jefferson in Paris (1995); Moonlight and Valentino (1995); and The Pallbearer (1996). It was her performance in the title role of Emma Woodhouse in Emma (1996) that led to her being offered the role of Viola in Shakespeare in Love (1998), for which she was awarded the Golden Globe, Screen Actors Guild and Academy Awards for Best Actress in a Leading Role. Her roles have also included The Royal Tenenbaums (2001), Shallow Hal (2001), Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (2004), Iron Man (2008), Two Lovers (2008), and Country Strong (2010). She has two children with her former husband, English musician Chris Martin.
Interesting Facts about Gwyneth Paltrow
- She does not employ a nanny to take care of her daughter, a rarity among actors in the film business.
- Ambassador for the Entertainment Industry Foundation (EIF)’s Women’s Cancer Research Fund (2008).
- Attended Brown Ledge Summer Camp in Vermont.
- Revealed that she named her daughter Apple, because apples are whole, sweet and crisp. The baby’s middle name honors her grandmothers, Blythe Danner and Alison Martin.
- Has two step-children, Brody and Isabella.
- She was offered the role of Emma Peel in The Avengers (1998), which she turned down. Coincidentally, she later played Pepper Potts in an unrelated film of the same Avengers Assemble (2012).
- Named one of People magazine’s 50 Most Beautiful People in the World (1998).
- Replaced Charlize Theron in the role of Gerda Wegener in The Danish Girl (2015), but after dropping out of the project herself she was replaced by Alicia Vikander.
- She was to be the original narrator for Thomas & Friends: The Great Discovery – The Movie (2008) but instead the role went to Pierce Brosnan.
- Is one of 25 actresses who have received an Academy Award for their performance in a comedy; hers being for Shakespeare in Love (1998). The others in chronological order, are: Claudette Colbert (It Happened One Night (1934)), Loretta Young (The Farmer’s Daughter (1947)), Josephine Hull (Harvey (1950)), Judy Holliday (Born Yesterday (1950)), Audrey Hepburn (Roman Holiday (1953)), Goldie Hawn (Cactus Flower (1969)), Glenda Jackson (A Touch of Class (1973)), Lee Grant (Shampoo (1975)), Diane Keaton (Annie Hall (1977)), Maggie Smith (California Suite (1978)), Mary Steenburgen (Melvin and Howard (1980)), Jessica Lange (Tootsie (1982)), Olympia Dukakis (Moonstruck (1987)), Cher (Moonstruck (1987)), Jessica Tandy (Driving Miss Daisy (1989)), Mercedes Ruehl (The Fisher King (1991)), Marisa Tomei (My Cousin Vinny (1992)), Dianne Wiest (Bullets Over Broadway (1994)), Mira Sorvino (Mighty Aphrodite (1995)), Frances McDormand (Fargo (1996)), Helen Hunt (As Good as It Gets (1997)), Judi Dench (Shakespeare in Love (1998)), Penélope Cruz (Vicky Cristina Barcelona (2008)), and Jennifer Lawrence (Silver Linings Playbook (2012)).
- Spends Thanksgiving every year with Steven Spielberg and Kate Capshaw at their home in the Hamptons.
- Signed a contact with Estée Lauder for $10 million to promote its new line of fragrance, “Pleasures”.
Personal Quotes by Gwyneth Paltrow
Beauty, to me is about being comfortable in your own skin.- Gwyneth Paltrow
I’ve had a very interesting career. I get to do amazing things and work with amazing people and travel and learn languages – things most people don’t get the opportunity to do.- Gwyneth Paltrow
My playground was the theatre. I’d sit and watch my mother pretend for a living. As a young girl, that’s pretty seductive.- Gwyneth Paltrow
I have a very highly developed sense of denial.- Gwyneth Paltrow
I understand what it feels like not to like aspects of yourself. There have been times that I have felt really terrible about the way I look. I have the seed of that feeling.- Gwyneth Paltrow