Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Halle Berry. Check it out!
Halle Berry was born in Cleveland, Ohio. Her father, Jerome Jesse Berry, was African-American, and worked as a hospital attendant. Her mother, Judith Ann (Hawkins), who is Caucasian, has English and German ancestry, and is a retired psychiatric nurse. Halle has an older sister, Heidi Berry. Halle first came into the spotlight at seventeen years when she won the Miss Teen All-American Pageant, representing the state of Ohio in 1985 and, a year later in 1986, when she was the first runner-up in the Miss U.S.A. Pageant. After participating in the pageant, Halle became a model. It eventually led to her first weekly TV series, 1989’s Living Dolls (1989), where she soon gained a reputation for her on-set tenacity, preferring to “live” her roles and remaining in character even when the cameras stopped rolling. It paid off though when she reportedly refused to bathe for several days before starting work on her role as a crack addict in Spike Lee’s Jungle Fever (1991) because the role provided her big screen breakthrough. The following year, she was cast as Eddie Murphy’s love interest in Boomerang (1992), one of the few times that Murphy was evenly matched on screen. In 1994, Berry gained a youthful following for her performance as sexy secretary “Sharon Stone” in The Flintstones (1994). She next had a highly publicized starring role with Jessica Lange in the adoption drama Losing Isaiah (1995). Though the movie received mixed reviews, Berry didn’t let that slow her down, and continued down her path to super-stardom.
Interesting Facts about Halle Berry
- Is currently the highest paid black actress in Hollywood (2004).
- Voted the 10th Sexiest Female Movie Star in the Australian Empire Magazine. [September 2002]
- Her favorite actresses are Dorothy Dandridge, Jodie Foster and Whoopi Goldberg.
- Studies acting under Ivana Chubbuck.
- Older sister Heidi Berry (born 1964) is estranged from Halle.
- Well known for “living” her roles, she refused to bathe for two weeks in preparation for a role as a crack addict in Jungle Fever (1991).
- Lived in Saint-Hypolite (north of Montreal, Quebec, Canada) from October 2008 until April 2010.
- Was 4 months pregnant with her son Maceo when she completed filming X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014).
- Named one of People magazine’s 50 Most Beautiful People in the World (2003).
- Canceled her appearance on the Oscars on February 26, 2012, due to her broken foot.
- (July 13, 2013) Married for the 3rd time her boyfriend of 2 years Olivier Martinez following a 17-month-long engagement.
- Is an active participant with the Jenesee Center (for abused women and children) in Los Angeles.
Personal Quotes by Halle Berry
I guess you could say I have bad taste in men. But I no longer feel the need to be someone’s wife.- Halle Berry
I’m just going to live my life and be who I am.- Halle Berry
While being called beautiful is extremely flattering, I would much rather be noticed for my work as an actress.- Halle Berry
The first step is clearly defining what it is you’re after, because without knowing that, you’ll never get it.- Halle Berry
I wish all men were like dogs.- Halle Berry