Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Ian Somerhalder. Check it out!
Ian Somerhalder was born and raised in the small southern town of Covington, Louisiana. His mother, Edna (née Israel), is a massage therapist, and his father, Robert Somerhalder, is a building contractor. He has Cajun (French), English, and Scots-Irish ancestry. Boating, swimming, fishing and training horses filled much of his recreational time growing up, as did the school drama club and performing with the local theater group. With his mother’s encouragement, at age 10, he began a modeling career that took him to New York each summer. By junior high, he opted to put modeling on the back burner and focus more on sports and school. A few years later, when the opportunity to model in Europe arose, Somerhalder grabbed it, embarking on an enriching path of work, travel and study that took him to cities, including Paris, Milan and London. At 17, he began studying acting in New York and, by 19, had committed himself to the craft, working with preeminent acting coach William Esper. His fate was sealed while working as an extra in a club scene in the feature film, Black and White (1999). A talent manager visiting a client on the set spotted Somerhalder in a crowd scene of 400 and immediately signed him for representation. He was cast later for the drama Changing Hearts (2002) directed by Martin Guigui. Happy to be anchored in New York, Somerhalder spends much of his time studying acting, writing and practicing yoga. His recreational interests include water and snow skiing and horseback riding.
Interesting Facts about Ian Somerhalder
- He has a brother, Robert (Bob), and a sister, Robyn. Their parents divorced when he was thirteen.
- Played varsity soccer and baseball.
- He has a brother, Robert, a wood worker, and a sister, Robyn, a broadcast journalist. Boating, swimming, fishing and training horses filled much of his recreational time growing up, as did the school drama club and performing with the local theater group.
- (April 26, 2015) Married his girlfriend of a year Nikki Reed at Topanga Canyon in Malibu, California following a 2-month-long engagement.
- In 2005, he bulked up, adding about 20 to 30 pounds of muscle to his slim frame, so he would be considered for more leading-man-type roles.
- Ian supports the charity Love Letters to the South, which pays tribute to all those affected by Hurricane Katrina.
- Created the Ian Somerhalder Foundation on December 8, 2010 aiming to empower, educate and collaborate with people and projects to positively impact the planet and its creatures.
- His favorite film is The Graduate (1967).
- Named one of the ‘sexiest men’ in Glamour’s “50 Sexiest Men of 2010” list.
- His favorite actor is Sean Penn.
- Has a daughter, Bodhi Soleil Reed Somerhalder, born July 25th 2017.
- Grew up with his mother, whom he has described as being “very spiritual”.
Personal Quotes by Ian Somerhalder
Love is tested in so many ways. How do I articulate this? Two people are together. There are stakes, strife, struggles, all these things that make us fall for someone, love someone even more, leave someone.Ian Somerhalder
When you’re really close to someone, they can make fun of you a lot and get away with it. But they sort of poke you in all of the right places.Ian Somerhalder
I kind of think too much, I try do too many things at once.Ian Somerhalder
I can’t let time move on without fighting tooth and nail and hopefully being a part of a revolution that is positive.Ian Somerhalder
Oceans are one of the most important things in the world now and that is a national security threat of the United States of America, to be honest with you. That is why seeing the habitat destroyed is so short-sighted by us.Ian Somerhalder