Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about James McAvoy. Check it out!
McAvoy was born on 21 April 1979 in Glasgow, Scotland, to Elizabeth (née Johnstone), a nurse, and James McAvoy senior, a bus driver. He was raised on a housing estate in Drumchapel, Glasgow by his maternal grandparents (James, a butcher, and Mary), after his parents divorced when James was 11. He went to St Thomas Aquinas Secondary in Jordanhill, Glasgow, where he did well enough and started ‘a little school band with a couple of mates’.
Interesting Facts about James McAvoy
- Enjoys science fiction, including Star Trek (1966) and the new Battlestar Galactica (2004).
- Said the script for Atonement (2007) was the best he had ever read.
- Joe Wright considered him for a role in his Pride & Prejudice (2005). Both director and actor refused to name the part.
- Attended St. Thomas Aquinas Secondary in Jordanhill, Glasgow. Also attended by Tom Mannion.
- Was ranked #18 on Entertainment Weekly’s ’30 Under 30′ the actors list. (2008).
- At the London premiere of Danny Boyle’s film Trance (2013) in March 2013, McAvoy apologised to reporter Sophie van Brugen when he accidentally spat on her during a red carpet interview.
- After growing up in Glasgow, he moved to London at the age of 20.
- In April 2015 McAvoy pledged £125,000 to help fund a ten-year scholarship programme at his former drama school, the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland (RCS). The fund will help those aged 25 and under who would otherwise be unable to afford tuition at the school. Applicants will need to demonstrate that financial cost is the main barrier to their accessing pre-higher education drama training at the RCS.
- Keeps an apartment in the centre of Glasgow for family visits.
- Has worked with Jessica Chastain in The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby trilogy, Dark Phoenix, IT Chapter 2. In an interview with Conan O’Brien in 2019 while promoting IT Chapter 2 James McAvoy and Jessica Chastain said they’d like to work together again and become a memorable cinema pairing.
- Of Clan Maclaine of Lochbuie.
- Has a younger half-brother named Donald.
Personal Quotes by James McAvoy
I’m instinctively very suspicious and guarded, and I try to counteract it so much. I find reason allows you to be open, and my only sort of ambition in life is to try and be as open as possible.James McAvoy
I’ve done enough for a while and people get fed up of seeing you, but apart from that, although I’m young, I need a bit of rest. You could say I have become a house husband. It’s not a new man thing, it’s just largely a boring man who doesn’t mind staying in the house thing.James McAvoy
I play football once or twice a week. I eat pretty healthy. I’m in fairly good shape most of the time.James McAvoy
I like playing sport, and I like doing physical stuff. I like hiking and I like climbing and I like playing sport. I do a lot. But I don’t like the term ‘exercising.’ I feel like with sport, you’re playing games. But with exercise, you’re literally just trying to stop yourself from dying too young. It’s weird.James McAvoy
Distance is a bad excuse for not having a good relationship with somebody. It’s the determination to keep it going or let it fall by the wayside; that’s the real reason that the relationships continue.James McAvoy