Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about James Woods. Check it out!
James Howard Woods was born on April 18, 1947 in Vernal, Utah, the son of Martha A. (Smith) and Gail Peyton Woods, a U.S. Army intelligence officer who died during Woods’ childhood. James is of Irish, English, and German descent. He grew up in Warwick, Rhode Island, with his mother and stepfather Thomas E. Dixon. He graduated from Pilgrim High School in 1965, near the top of his class. James earned a scholarship to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology; dropping out during his sophomore year in 1967, he then headed off to New York with his fraternity brother Martin Donovan to pursue aspirations to appear on the stage. After appearing in a handful of New York City theater productions, Woods scored his first film role in All the Way Home (1971) and followed that up with meager supporting roles in The Way We Were (1973) and The Choirboys (1977).
Interesting Facts about James Woods
- Childhood friend of Wall Street Journal personal technology columnist Walter Mossberg.
- Referred to composer Howard Shore as the Bernard Herrmann of the synthesizer.
- As of 2013, his two Oscar nominated performances were for his portrayals on real life characters: Richard Boyle in Salvador (1986) and Byron De La Beckwith in Ghosts from the Past (1996).
- Loves photography.
- Is an avid video gamer.
- Majored in Political Science at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- The high school in the animated series Family Guy (1999) was named after him (James Woods High School).
- Loves cooking and is an excellent chef.
- Is the son of a United States Army intelligence officer.
- Fired his agent for not telling him of Quentin Tarantino’s offer to star as Mr. Orange/Freddie in Reservoir Dogs (1992).
- He and his then fiancée filed a $2 million suit for harassment against his ex-girlfriend Sean Young in 1988, alleging that, for instance, Young left a disfigured doll on his doorstep and trampled the couple’s expensive flower bed. The case was settled out of court in 1989.
- Enjoys playing golf.
Personal Quotes by James Woods
No matter what it is, if you get 10 people in the business talking about something, you get 10 different opinions, but you know, they’re amazingly well informed.- James Woods
Do you think I want to be the one lone voice against the Hollywood liberal establishment? It’s not going to do me any good.- James Woods
I’m a pretty quiet guy, but if people want to think of me as a lady killer, I guess that’s good.- James Woods
We work in an environment where your options are to do, you know, Batman 10, so when you get to do a movie that’s a really great film like this, people really step up to the plate and enjoy it.- James Woods
I look back on my life and have to face the fact that I have been narcissistic and selfish.- James Woods