Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Jennifer Tilly. Check it out!
An actress who always attracts audiences’ attention, Jennifer Tilly is by turns funny, sexy, compassionate, compelling and often all at once. She burst onto the scene playing the tone deaf Monica Moran in The Fabulous Baker Boys (1989), opposite brothers Jeff Bridges and Beau Bridges. She has been playing unforgettable characters ever since. She earned an Oscar nomination for her portrayal of the hopelessly untalented Olive Neal in Woody Allen’s Bullets Over Broadway (1994). She followed that up with a memorable turn as Jim Carrey’s gold-digging client in the blockbuster Liar Liar (1997). A sultry performance as Violet, opposite Gina Gershon, helped make Lana Wachowski’s and Lilly Wachowski’s Bound (1996) a breakout indie success at the Sundance Film Festival and then in theatres. It also expanded Jennifer’s already significant gay and lesbian following.
Interesting Facts about Jennifer Tilly
- Lenny von Dohlen, who co-starred with Jennifer in Bird of Prey (1995) and her sister Meg Tilly in Leaving Normal (1992), said, “They have a fountain of emotion that keeps coming, even after someone yells cut, but the fountain comes from different bodies of water.” He adds, “Meg is an ocean, Jennifer is a rushing river.”.
- In 2005 she won the Ladies-Only No Limit Texas Hold ‘Em event at the World Series of Poker, becoming the first celebrity to win an open (as opposed to celebrity-only) WSOP tournament and earn a World Series bracelet. She beat out exactly 600 other women to take the championship.
- Ex-sister-in-law of John Calley and Tim Zinnemann. Sister-in-law of Don Calame.
- Has one cat named Corky.
- Attended and graduated from Belmont High School in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada.
- Her real-life boyfriend is professional poker player Phil Laak (aka “The Unabomber”). They met at a charitable invitational poker tournament.
- In high school, everyone called Jennifer, Meg, and their younger sister Becky the Three Musketeers.
- Her younger sister, Rebecca Tilly, is a post-impressionist painter.
- She has played a ditzy, sexy love interest for Kelsey Grammer’s character Frasier Crane when he was trying to get over other women on Cheers (1982) and again on Frasier (1993) (though she was not playing the same character).
- She has won a Theater World Award for Most Promising Newcomer for her work in Tina Howe’s play, “One Shoe Off”, at The Joseph Papp Theater. She also received a Dramalogue Award for her work in the play “Vanities”. She won a Gemini Award for Best Actress for her role in Showtime’s made-for-TV film Heads (1994), and a nomination for a Cable ACE Award for her work on It’s Garry Shandling’s Show. (1986).
- Ranked #23 in Celebrity Sleuth magazine’s 25 Sexiest Women of 1995.
- Her father was of Chinese descent and her mother’s ancestry was Irish, Finnish, and First Nations. Jennifer was raised mostly in British Columbia, Canada.
Personal Quotes by Jennifer Tilly
My mother had all these maxims – like, classy girls never chew gum, never read comic books, never get their ears pierced, never get their hair dyed.- Jennifer Tilly
I met my boyfriend, a pro poker player, at a tournament. He tried to dissuade me because it’s a seedy gritty world. Listen, I’ve played till 4 in the morning. I’ve played with a half million dollars on the table.- Jennifer Tilly
I have my cards read every time I pass a tarot-reader booth. I would be so embarrassed to have one of those 900 numbers appear on my phone bill, because I don’t know how I would explain it to my business manager. It would almost be like saying, ‘Okay, I’m white trash.’- Jennifer Tilly
I still haven’t made a film that defines who I am.- Jennifer Tilly
If you have Julia Roberts in a movie you’re never really afraid for her because you know she’s not going to die.- Jennifer Tilly