Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Joe Manganiello. Check it out!
Joe Manganiello is an American actor. He was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, to Susan (Brachanow) and Charles John Manganiello, and has a younger brother, Nicholas. His father is of Italian descent and his mother has German/Austrian/Croatian and Armenian ancestry. Joe was raised in Mount Lebanon and attended Mount Lebanon high school. During school, he was good at sports and was captain of the football, basketball and volleyball teams. He went on to play varsity level in all three. It was during school that he enjoyed making films with his friends and, as a result, became interested in acting. He went on to study acting at Carnegie Mellon, after which he moved to Los Angeles. He landed a great first job as ‘Flash Thompson’ in Spider-Man (2002).
Interesting Facts about Joe Manganiello
- He campaigned for the coveted role of Superman in director Zack Snyder’s and producer Christopher Nolan’s adaptation Man of Steel (2013). Snyder stated that Manganiello was down to the last two considered for the role and said that Manganiello is “a great guy”. British actor Henry Cavill ultimately won the role.
- Former bodyguard for singer/actor Tyrese Gibson.
- Winner of the 2011 Saturn Award for “Best Guest Starring Role on Television” for his role as Alcide Herveaux on True Blood (2008).
- He trained for five months to play the character Alcide Herveaux on True Blood (2008), since the character is described as “having arms like tree trunks” in Charlaine Harris’ novels. Manganiello said that, even considering the grueling training, the most difficult aspect of the role was getting Alcide’s Southern accent right.
- Honored by the Human Rights Campaign with their “Ally for Equality” award for his philanthropic work on behalf of marriage equality (2014).
- Sang backup vocals for the rock band, The Used, on their song “Hospital” from their album “Lies for the Liars” (2007), and for the rock band, Goldfinger, on their song “Wasted” for their album “Disconnection Notice” (2005).
- Named one of Paper magazine’s Beautiful People of 2011.
- Has recorded some spoken word for the band “D.R.U.G.S.” that appears at the very end of their 2011 self titled debut album.
- Stepfather of Manolo Gonzalez Vergara.
- In a tournament, including 63 other stars, Manganiello was voted Popsugar.com’s #1 Shirtless Celebrity of 2012.
- He trained for several months, with a former Navy SEAL, to prepare for his role as Lt. Sean Macklin in Behind Enemy Lines: Colombia (2009). Upon finding out that the studio did not provide a Navy SEAL to consult on the film, Joe flew his SEAL trainer to the set in Puerto Rico and put him up in the cast’s hotel, out of his own pocket, in hopes of adding authenticity to the production.
- His father’s ancestry is Italian (from Naples and Messina, Sicily). Joe’s maternal grandfather had Dalmatian/Croatian ancestry, and Joe’s maternal grandmother had German and Armenian ancestry.
Personal Quotes by Joe Manganiello
Well, being 6′ 5′, pull-ups are my nemesis. I have really long arms so I have to do twice the work of someone with short arms to get the weight up there.- Joe Manganiello
I watched so many comic book movies where the actors weren’t as built as the characters in the book. It made me mad because they didn’t look right.- Joe Manganiello
I started working at clubs when I was sixteen, which is young. I would not want my kid doing that, but I did, and that’s how it went.- Joe Manganiello
I had a fan make me a silver wolf-tooth necklace. That was really great.- Joe Manganiello
When I was growing up, it was Clint Eastwood, it was Harrison Ford and Steve McQueen – these guys were tough. They were leading men, but they were also tough and physical.- Joe Manganiello