Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Joel Edgerton. Check it out!
Joel Edgerton was born on June 23, 1974 in Blacktown, New South Wales, Australia, to Marianne (van Dort) and Michael Edgerton, who is a solicitor and property developer. His brother is filmmaker Nash Edgerton. His mother is a Dutch immigrant. Joel went to Hills Grammar School in the Western Suburbs of Sydney, and after leaving, he attended Nepean Drama School in 1994. Joel has done many projects on stage and off, but most people will recognize him from his work on the Australian television series The Secret Life of Us (2001), in which he played William McGill. This gave him his first big break through in the television industry. For this role, he was nominated in 2001 for an AFI Award. As well as “The Secret Life of Us”, he has also appeared in other television projects such as The Three Stooges (2000), Dossa and Joe (2002), Secret Men’s Business (1999), Never Tell Me Never (1998) and Saturn’s Return (2001). Joel has done a lot of work on the theatrical stage having played King Henry in “Henry V”, Prince Hal in “Henry III”, and others including “Road”, “Third World Blues” and “Dead White Males”. As well as acting, he has also starred, co-written and produced the short movie Bloodlock (1998).
Interesting Facts about Joel Edgerton
- Studied acting at Theatre Nepean in Sydney, Australia.
- Is the second Star Wars actor to have played Sir Gawain in a King Arthur movie. Liam Neeson played the role in Excalibur (1981).
- Joel’s brother, Nash Edgerton, was also in Star Wars: Episode II – Attack of the Clones (2002). Nash was the stunt double for Ewan McGregor (Obi-Wan Kenobi).
- Was in a relationship with Olympic Gold medalist Cathy Freeman from 2003-2005.
- Joel appears in the music video for Ben Lee’s (Claire Danes’s then-boyfriend) 2002 single “Something Borrowed, Something Blue”. The music video was directed by Joel’s brother Nash Edgerton.
- Attended Hills Grammar School in Sydney’s north-west.
- His short film Monkeys (2011) was selected for Australian short film event Final Cut in 2012, where it was awarded the Audience Favourite Prize alongside short films from award-winning filmmakers David Ludlow [Drifting (2010)] and Kelly Hucker [Kwik Fix (2010)].
- Founding member of ‘Blue-Tongue Films’.
- The Edgerton brothers have collaborated on several film projects.
- In 2013, he was set to star in The Double Hour, a remake of the Italian film The Double Hour (2009), alongside Michelle Williams, but the project fell apart.
- When he graduated from high school he attended University of Western Sydney-Nepean Kingswood Campus and studied Drama there
- Starred in Ned Kelly (2003) with Orlando Bloom. Bloom in turn starred with Keira Knightley in Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003). Kiera also starred in King Arthur (2004) with Edgerton.
Personal Quotes by Joel Edgerton
Whereas ‘Avatar’ and other movies get shocks out of their three-dimensionality, ‘Gatsby’ is going to be about inviting the audience into this larger-than-life drama, letting them almost be inside the room rather than looking at it through the window. I think it will really work.- Joel Edgerton
Having rain on your tuxedo is a pretty good reminder that you’re not James Bond.- Joel Edgerton
It’s an incredibly liberating feeling to have a skirt on. In fact, I know you can buy skirts, and you can buy work kilts and all sorts of stuff.- Joel Edgerton
Everybody’s a mix of good and bad choices that they make.- Joel Edgerton
I’m hardly digging trenches for a living. I’m getting to tap into my boyhood fantasies of being a larger-than-life character.- Joel Edgerton