Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Joel Kinnaman. Check it out!
Charles Joel Nordström Kinnaman, known professionally as Joel Kinnaman, is a Swedish American actor. He is best known for playing the lead role in the Swedish film Easy Money a role that earned him a Guldbagge Award in the “Best Actor” category – and for his role as Frank Wagner in the Johan Falk film series. He starred on AMC’s The Killing as detective Stephen Holder, played Alex Murphy in the 2014 reboot of RoboCop, Rick Flag in Suicide Squad and Edward Baldwin in Apple’s For All Mankind to name a few.
Interesting Facts about Joel Kinnaman
- Was in a short-term relationship with Jane Timglas and Olivia Munn.
- In 2015, he married model/tattoo artist Cleo Wattenström, they separated in 2018.
- Kinnaman has a condition called “Pectus excavatum,” a congenital deformity of the anterior thoracic wall in which the sternum and rib cage grow abnormally, producing a sunken appearance of the chest. For this condition, Joel underwent corrective surgery that involved the insertion of 2 curved metal bars behind his ribs that extended across the width of his chest. When rotated, the curvature of the bars moved outward against the rear of his sternum forcing a greater gap between his heart and chest, filling out the characteristic sunken chest cavity associated with the condition. Once the desired chest contour was determined, the bars were attached to his ribs. For his role in Altered Carbon (2018) Joel was still fitted with these metal braces.
- Half-brother of actress Melinda Kinnaman. He has four other sisters.
- Joel holds both Swedish and American citizenship. His father is American-born and his mother is Swedish-born.
- Joel’s paternal grandparents were David H. Kinnaman, from Perry Township, Marion County, Indiana, and Rosalie L. (Mitchell), from Kansas City, Kansas. Joel’s father’s ancestry includes German, English, Scottish, and Irish. Joel’s mother is of Swedish Jewish background (she is descended from Ukrainian Jewish immigrants to Sweden).
- During an appearance on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert (2015), Kinnaman revealed that he went to the same high school with Alexander Skarsgård and Noomi Rapace in Stockholm.
- Friends with fellow Swedish actor Gustaf Skarsgård for a long time.
Personal Quotes by Joel Kinnaman
I love ‘Starship Troopers.’ I’ve seen it ten times.- Joel Kinnaman
I always look for good stories and good characters, and if they’re placed in a whodunit, then I’m interested.- Joel Kinnaman
In Sweden, I went to an English school, where there was a mishmash of people from all over the world. Some were diplomatic kids with a lot of money, some were ghetto kids who came up from the suburbs, and I grew up in between. There’s a community of second generation immigrants, and I became part of that because I had an American father.- Joel Kinnaman
I hate pork rinds. I couldn’t imagine how anybody would ever get the idea of taking skin from a pig and frying it and then trying to sell it to people. And then people actually buy it to eat it. That is the true sign of the decline of the human race.- Joel Kinnaman
I think for a lot of people that had seen me do ‘Snabba Cash’, after watching ‘The Killing,’ I think they got a sense that I could do different kinds of characters.- Joel Kinnaman