Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about John Goodman. Check it out!
John Stephen Goodman is a U.S. film, television, and stage actor. He was born in St. Louis, Missouri, to Virginia Roos (Loosmore), a waitress and saleswoman, and Leslie Francis Goodman, a postal worker who died when John was a small child. He is of English, Welsh, and German ancestry. John is best known for his role as Dan Conner on the television series Roseanne (1988), which ran until 1997, and for which he won a Best Actor Golden Globe award in 1993. Goodman is also noted for appearances in the films of the Coen brothers, with prominent roles in Raising Arizona (1987), as an escaped convict, in Barton Fink (1991), as a congenial murderer, in The Big Lebowski (1998), as a volatile bowler, and in O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000), as a cultured thief. Additionally, Goodman’s voice work has appeared in numerous Disney films, including the voice for “Sulley” in Monsters, Inc. (2001). Having contributed to more than 50 films, Goodman has also won two American Comedy Awards and hosted Saturday Night Live (1975) fourteen times.
Interesting Facts about John Goodman
- Was the first guest on Late Night with Conan O’Brien (1993) when the show premiered on September 13, 1993.
- His first job was as a bouncer.
- Has English, German and Welsh ancestry.
- Was a member of Sigma Phi Epsilon national fraternity (Missouri Eta chapter, Southwest Missouri State University).
- His first television appearance was for a Burger King commercial in which he had no lines. He only had to bite into a Whopper sandwich with glee.
- Has played both the King of England (in King Ralph (1991)) and the President of the United States (in certain episodes of The West Wing (1999)).
- Though he has been nominated multiple times for a Golden Globe and Screen Actors Guild Awards (two common indicators for an Academy Award nomination), he has never been nominated for an Oscar.
- He was awarded a star on the St. Louis Walk of Fame at 6508 Delmar Boulevard in St. Louis, Missouri on May 18, 1997.
- Is a huge fan of the St. Louis Cardinals baseball team.
- Has appeared with Richard Jenkins in four films: Sea of Love (1989), What Planet Are You From? (2000), One Night at McCool’s (2001) and Kong: Skull Island (2017).
- Has appeared with Steve Buscemi in four films: Barton Fink (1991), The Big Lebowski (1998), Monsters, Inc. (2001) and Monsters University (2013).
- In 2007, he quit drinking and has vowed to remain sober.
Personal Quotes by John Goodman
Like, every couple of months you read, they rewrite, you come back in, they’ve animated more stuff – they usually videotape you while you’re reading it – so they’ll incorporate some gestures and some facial expressions into it.- John Goodman
Social Security’s future has gotten worse, and each year we delay reform adds to the cost we are pushing off onto our children.- John Goodman
Yeah, the material’s been good so far, although I’m sure there’s got to be a drought coming someday.- John Goodman
It was a fight for a very long time. After the end of the first season, all that was done.- John Goodman
This happens to be that the power of laughter and love would beat out the power of fear every time. You know, I hate to sound corny about it but it’s true, and I think that’s what this movie is about.- John Goodman