Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about John Leguizamo. Check it out!
Fast-talking and feisty-looking John Leguizamo has continued to impress movie audiences with his versatility: he can play sensitive and naive young men, such as Johnny in Hangin’ with the Homeboys (1991); cold-blooded killers like Benny Blanco in Carlito’s Way (1993); a heroic Army Green Beret, stopping aerial terrorists in Executive Decision (1996); and drag queen Chi-Chi Rodriguez in To Wong Foo Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar (1995). Arguably, not since ill-fated actor and comedian Freddie Prinze starred in the smash TV series Chico and the Man (1974) has a youthful Latino personality had such a powerful impact on critics and fans alike.
Interesting Facts about John Leguizamo
- Father of Lucas Leguizamo and Allegra Leguizamo.
- Listed as one of twelve “Promising New Actors of 1991” in John Willis’ Screen World, Vol. 43.
- Was accepted into Lee Strasberg’s actors’ studio and studied with the master for one day before Strasberg died. “I have that affect on people,” Leguizamo quipped.
- Began writing material for himself in high school, testing it out on classmates.
- Mentioned on The Bob and Tom Show that he turned down the role of Tom Hanks’ boyfriend in Philadelphia (1993) to do Super Mario Bros. (1993).
- His parents encouraged him to maintain his Spanish, sometimes with bribes. They spoke to him in Spanish, but he usually replied in English.
- Born on exactly the same date as SNL alum David Spade.
- Although he is about 5′ 8″ in reality, he has played two characters who are technically little people (under 4′ 11″): the Clown in Spawn (1997) and Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec in Moulin Rouge! (2001).
- Grew up in the Jackson Heights section of Queens, New York.
- Met wife Justine when she was a wardrobe assistant on Carlito’s Way.
- Moved from Colombia to the United States with his family when he was three years old.
- Nominated for the 2018 Emmy Award in the Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Limited Series or Movie category for his role as Jacob Vazquez in Waco (2018), but lost to Jeff Daniels from Godless (2017).
Personal Quotes by John Leguizamo
I have huge respect for whistle-blowers, people who stand up against their bosses and losing their careers, just for truth and justice.- John Leguizamo
Imagine if Lin-Manuel Miranda had tried to do ‘Hamilton’ first in Hollywood. They would have told him, ‘The forefathers weren’t Latino or black. They didn’t speak in hip hop.’ That would never had gotten going in Hollywood ever. But theater let Lin-Manuel him do it, and he created an incredible masterpiece.- John Leguizamo
I’ve always studied our empires to empower myself, you know, and to have ammunition against anybody who could try to put me down.- John Leguizamo
I feel American comedy is a little too light. World cinema, and Latin cinema, is much more comfortable with darker emotions.- John Leguizamo