Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Jonathan Groff. Check it out!
Jonathan Groff was born on March 26, 1985 in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA as Jonathan Drew Groff. He is an actor, known for Frozen (2013), Hamilton (2020) and Frozen 2 (2019).
Interesting Facts about Jonathan Groff
- He is of German, and some Swiss-German, English, and Scottish, descent. He has deep roots in Pennsylvania on both sides of his family (Pennsylvania Dutch, the nickname for Germans in the state).
- His role as “King George III” in the Broadway production of “Hamilton” lasted just 9 minutes on each performance. Most of his time, therefore, was spent behind the scenes where had the great privilege of meeting celebrity fans of the show from all walks of life such as, Barack Obama and Michelle Obama, Dick Cheney, Paul McCartney, Madonna, Jennifer Lopez, Lupita Nyong’o, Busta Rhymes, ‘Weird Al’ Yankovic, Common, etc.
- Groff was nominated for a Tony Award for Best Actor for “Spring Awakening” in 2007.
- He remains very good friends with his “Spring Awakening” co-star Lea Michele.
- Gained a 5 inch scar on his biceps while shooting Glee (2009) because his dance partner for the “Bohemian Rhapsody” performance (in the season 1 finale) accidentally scarred him with her stilettos.
- Was in a relationship with fellow actor Zachary Quinto during 2012 till spring 2013.
- While Groff was raised Methodist, his father was raised Mennonite.
- Groff, along with other openly gay actors (including Sean Hayes and Neil Patrick Harris), was the target of a highly controversial April 2010 Newsweek article by Ramin Setoodeh that argued that gay actors aren’t convincing playing straight characters. The article created a huge media backlash, with many public figures (including Groff and Hayes’ co-star Kristin Chenoweth) decrying it as homophobic and defending Hayes’, Harris’, and Groff’s performances as straight characters.
Personal Quotes by Jonathan Groff
I moved to New York on October 21, 2004, and it was the day that the Chelsea Grill, a restaurant in Hell’s Kitchen on 9th Avenue between 46th and 47th Street, opened. I had never waited a table in my life, but I walked in and lied to the manager in a very J. Pierrepont Finch way.- Jonathan Groff
I grew up in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, watching the Tony Awards on TV. Not just ‘watching’ the Tony Awards on TV – I would record them on a VHS tape and bring them in to school and show them to the other kids.- Jonathan Groff
When I was doing ‘Spring Awakening’ the first couple of years I was living in New York, I was gay, and I was living with my ‘roommate,’ who was my boyfriend but was my roommate to everyone else.- Jonathan Groff
I was definitely planning to go to college, but I deferred my admission to Carnegie Mellon to be in a non-equity tour of ‘The Sound of Music.’ But I made very little money in the tour, and college is really expensive, and I thought I’d never be able to pay off those loans.- Jonathan Groff
I did ‘How to Succeed in Business… ,’ ‘Kiss Me Kate,’ ‘Godspell,’ and ‘You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown’ in high school, all of which were fun.- Jonathan Groff