Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Julia Roberts. Check it out!
Julia Fiona Roberts never dreamed she would become the most popular actress in America. She was born in Smyrna, Georgia, to Betty Lou (Bredemus) and Walter Grady Roberts, one-time actors and playwrights, and is of English, Irish, Scottish, Welsh, German, and Swedish descent. As a child, due to her love of animals, Julia originally wanted to be a veterinarian, but later studied journalism. When her brother, Eric Roberts, achieved some success in Hollywood, Julia decided to try acting. Her first break came in 1988 when she appeared in two youth-oriented movies Mystic Pizza (1988) and Satisfaction (1988). The movies introduced her to a new audience who instantly fell in love with this pretty woman. Julia’s biggest success was in the signature movie Pretty Woman (1990), for which Julia got an Oscar nomination, and also won the People’s Choice award for Favorite Actress. Even though Julia would spend the next few years either starring in serious movies, or playing fantasy roles like Tinkerbell, the movie audiences would always love Julia best in romantic comedies. With My Best Friend’s Wedding (1997) Julia gave the genre fresh life that had been lacking in Hollywood for some time. Offscreen, after a brief marriage, Julia has been romantically linked with several actors, and married cinematographer Daniel Moder in 2002; the couple has three children together.
Interesting Facts about Julia Roberts
- Was forced to deliver her twins Finn Moder and Hazel Moder via emergency Caesarean section 8 days ahead of their due date following a difficult pregnancy.
- Aunt of Emma Roberts.
- Daughter-in-law of Mike Moder.
- Refused to star in The Proposal (2009) unless Disney offered her a higher salary; eventually, Disney hired Sandra Bullock for even less money than it had offered Roberts, and the film became one of the highest-grossing romantic comedies, ever.
- Gave birth to her third child at age 39, a son Henry Daniel Moder on June 18, 2007. Child’s father is her second husband, Daniel Moder.
- She has worked with 4 directors who have won a Best Director Oscar: Steven Spielberg, Woody Allen, Steven Soderbergh, and Mike Nichols.
- Frequent collaborator of Dermot Mulroney. They co-starred in My Best Friend’s Wedding (1997) and August: Osage County (2013), while she also did a cameo in his directorial debut Love, Wedding, Marriage (2011).
- Turned down leading role in Sleepless in Seattle (1993) which went to Meg Ryan.
- Nominated for the 2019 Golden Globe Award in the Best Performance by an Actress In A Television Series – Drama category for her role as Heidi Bergman in Homecoming (2018), but lost to Sandra Oh for Killing Eve (2018).
- The only time she has acted out giving birth in a movie was, at age 49, in Wonder (2017).
- She never acted in a sequel until Ocean’s Twelve (2004).
- Came to fame in the 1989 film Steel Magnolias.
Personal Quotes by Julia Roberts
My real hair color is kind of a dark blonde. Now I just have mood hair.- Julia Roberts
My life at home gives me absolute joy. There are some days when, as soon as you’ve finished cooking breakfast and cleaning up the kitchen, it’s time to start lunch, and by the time you’ve done that, you’re doing dinner and thinking, ‘There has to be a menu we can order from.’- Julia Roberts
I could have been a dental hygienist with nothing bad ever appearing in print about me, but that’s not how I’ve chosen to lead my life. I knew that you put yourself under a microscope the more famous you become.- Julia Roberts
I just want to make a point that it’s not just great teachers that sometimes shape your life. Sometimes it’s the absence of great teachers that shapes your life and being ignored can be just as good for a person as being lauded.- Julia Roberts
The older you get, the more fragile you understand life to be. I think that’s good motivation for getting out of bed joyfully each day.- Julia Roberts