Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Karen Gillan. Check it out!
Karen Sheila Gillan was born and raised in Inverness, Scotland, as the only child of Marie Paterson and husband John Gillan, who is a singer and recording artist. She developed a love for acting very early on, attending several youth theatre groups and taking part in a wide range of productions at her school, Charleston Academy.
Interesting Facts about Karen Gillan
- Is the only child and daughter of John Gillan of Clan Macnab and wife Marie Paterson of Clan Paterson, considered part of Clan MacLaren or of Clan Farquharson.
- Became a huge fan of the situation comedy Community (2009), after her flatmate told her about their Doctor Who parody, “Inspector Spacetime”.
- One of her golden rules of life is a minimum of 8 hours of sleep per night.
- Went on record that she would like to play a female Bond antagonist in a future James Bond movie and that she wants to play the female incarnation of The Joker in a future Batman movie.
- The Daleks on the series had to be redesigned to match her height, as she’s half a foot taller than Billie Piper, who was the first companion on the revival.
- Used the code word ‘Panic Moon’ (an anagram of ‘Companion’), when auditioning for the role of Doctor Who’s assistant/companion.
- Loves rummaging through vintage clothes shops and playing the piano.
- Karen admitted the first person she told when she got the role of Amy Pond was her mother, who the actress said was a huge fan of Doctor Who (1963).
- Karen is part of the youngest pairing of Doctor Who and companion on Doctor Who (2005). In 2009, the new Doctor, Matt Smith, is 26, and she is just 21. Their combined age will be younger than that of Jon Pertwee, when he was playing the Time Lord in the 1970s.
- Shaved her head completely bald to play Nebula in Guardians of the Galaxy (2014). Marvel Studios subsequently turned her shaved hair into a wig and presented it to her as a gift which she still keeps to this day.
- Attended the Italia Conti Academy of Theatre Arts in London, England.
- Gillan shaved off her hair during Guardians of The Galaxy (2014). She revealed this during Comic-Con 2013. During the conference, she wore a wig then took it off to surprise fans.
Personal Quotes by Karen Gillan
I have no sense of being famous – you’re just working. And then you’ll have a random day in London when you’ll do some press and it creeps into your awareness that this goes out – that what you do every day goes out to televisions right across the country.- Karen Gillan
I had a lot of alone time with no brothers or sisters running around, or anything. I would just sit and imagine things, all the time.- Karen Gillan
How do you create chemistry? If only I knew that! Some people say it’s a natural thing that you have with someone, and maybe it is to do with that, but I think you can work on it.- Karen Gillan
Being in ‘Doctor Who’ has been so amazing. I don’t think I will ever have a job quite so fun ever again. I feel sad because I am going to leave, but with any story, it has to come to an end.- Karen Gillan
I know what it’s like to be a model and go to castings where some people like what they see and others look at you with distaste.- Karen Gillan