Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Keith David. Check it out!
Keith David was born Keith David Williams in New York City’s Harlem district, and was raised in East Elmhurst, in the Queens section of the city. He is the son of Dolores (Dickenson), a New York Telephone manager, and Lester Williams, a payroll operations director. As a child, he realized he wanted to act after playing the cowardly lion in his school’s production of “The Wizard of Oz.” He later enrolled in New York’s High School of the Performing Arts and continued his studies at Juilliard. After graduation, he was hired as an understudy for Tullus Aufidius in William Shakespeare’s “Coriolanus.” In 1992, he received a Tony Award nomination for Best Supporting Actor in a Musical for his role in the Broadway play “Jelly’s Last Jam.”
Interesting Facts about Keith David
- He appeared in Volcano (1997) and the following year, Armageddon (1998). The former “rivaled” with Dante’s Peak (1997), the latter “rivaled” with Deep Impact (1998). Due to the fact of being similar-plotted movies released around the same time. The ones Keith appeared in were lesser scientifically accurate than the ones they “rivaled” with.
- Profiled in “Character Kings: Hollywood’s Familiar Faces Discuss the Art & Business of Acting” by Scott Voisin (2009).
- Nominated for Broadway’s 1992 Tony Award as Best Actor (Featured Role – Musical) for “Jelly’s Last Jam”.
- Studied acting with Michael Howard in New York City.
- He was awarded the 1991 Drama Logue Award for Outstanding Lead Performance for “Jelly’s Last Jam” at the Mark Taper Forum Theatre in Los Angeles, California.
- He was awarded the 1996 Drama Logue Award for Performance for “Seven Guitars” at the Ahmanson Theatre in Los Angeles, California.
- Has portrayed both President and Vice President of the United States in instances of aliens threatening to destroy Earth in his voiceover work. Played himself as Vice President Keith David in the video game Saints Row 4 (2013) and played “The President” in season 2, episode 5 of Rick & Morty titled, “Get Schwifty”. Mr. David’s success rate stands at 50%. As President, Earth survived the “Cromulon’s” test. Against the Zin in Saint’s Row 4 however, the Earth did not fare quite as well, although some of humanity (those abducted by the Zin) did survive.
- Very popular voice-over actor.
- His ex-wife attended Hunter College of the City University of New York (CUNY) with Lisa Nicole Carson where they both appeared (and worked backstage) in theater department productions.
- In February 2010, he became the first actor to provide his voice for two films nominated for Academy Awards for Best Animated Feature. He played the role of The Cat in Coraline (2009) and the villain Dr. Facilier in The Princess and the Frog (2009).
- Parents are Lester and Dolores Williams.
- Following the film Platoon (1986), Charlie Sheen – who starred in the film – did a TV interview and credits David with saving his life. While shooting in an open-doored Huey gunship, the helicopter banked too hard, and Sheen was thrown towards – and would have gone through – the open door. David grabbed Sheen by the back and pulled him back in.
Personal Quotes by Keith David
In fact, I have never met anyone who didn’t like Gargoyles.- Keith David
It can’t hurt, publicity is publicity, controversy and all that, it’s all good.- Keith David
I came out singing, the doctor slapped me on the head, and I started singing.- Keith David
I am working on my nightclub act, definitely want to do more singing.- Keith David
My whole life, I always wanted to be an actor.- Keith David