Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Kelly McGillis. Check it out!
Kelly Ann McGillis was born in Newport Beach, California, to Virginia Joan (Snell), a homemaker, and Donald Manson McGillis, a general practitioner of medicine. She has English, Welsh, Scots-Irish, and German ancestry. McGillis dropped out of high school to pursue a career as an actress, and attended Juilliard in Manhattan and Pacific Conservatory of Performing Art in Santa Monica, CA.
Interesting Facts about Kelly McGillis
- Performing on stage as “Mrs. Robinson” in the national touring company of the play “The Graduate.” [March 2004]
- She has English, Welsh, Scots-Irish (Northern Irish), and German ancestry.
- Kelly McGillis actually had to return to employment waiting tables after having been a prominent character in an Oscar nominated film (her first movie, Reuben Reuben).
- Collingswood, New Jersey [September 2010]
- Auditioned for the role of Catherine Tramell in Basic Instinct (1992).
- As of June 2016, now lives in Henderson County, North Carolina.
- In April, 2009 Kelly McGillis confirmed long-held rumors that she’s a lesbian, according to an interview on the website shewired.
- Studied at Pacific Conservatory of Performing Arts and Juilliard.
- Listed as one of twelve “Promising New Actors of 1984” in John Willis’ Screen World, Vol. 36.
- She lost out on the role of Madame de Tourvel twice. The first time was in 1987 in the stage drama “Les Liaisons Dangereuses” with other American actors Glenn Close and Kevin Spacey, where they would have replaced the acclaimed English cast, but the show closed since producers feared soft box-office because of the cast change. (This was before Close and Spacey became household names.) The second time was in 1988 in the film Dangerous Liaisons (1988) when film critic Pauline Kael talked the film’s director Stephen Frears into dropping McGillis in favor of Michelle Pfeiffer, who earned an Academy Award nomination, as did Close who was cast this time, because of her star-making performance in Fatal Attraction (1987).
- On Friday June 17, 2016, Ms. McGillis came home and found a woman named Laurence Marie Dorn had entered her house. Dorn attacked McGillis. Dorn was later arrested by Henderson County Deputies and charged with second degree burglary, misdemeanor larceny, misdemeanor stalking, assault and battery, and interfering with emergency communications. In May 2017, Dorn was found guilty of misdemeanor breaking and entering and sentenced to 18 months of probation.
- The New York Times reported that on September 15, 2010, Kelly McGillis and Melanie Leis had a civil union performed in Collingswood, New Jersey, by Judge Robert T. Zane III. Melanie Leis is a sales executive.
Personal Quotes by Kelly McGillis
Life is a journey and it’s about growing and changing and coming to terms with who and what you are and loving who and what you are.- Kelly McGillis
By not coming forward (about rape), you make yourself a victim forever.- Kelly McGillis
Love isn’t intellectual – it’s visceral.- Kelly McGillis
I think it’s sad that movies and television have caused the theatre to fade as a popular art form. I hope to get young people into the theatre and expose them to Shakespeare.- Kelly McGillis