Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Kevin James. Check it out!
Kevin James was born Kevin George Knipfing on April 26, 1965, in Mineola, Long Island, New York, to Janet (Klein), an office worker, and Joseph Valentine Knipfing, Jr., an insurance agency owner. He was raised in Stony Brook, and attended SUNY Cortland, where he played fullback on the football team while majoring in sports management. He realized after three years that this wasn’t the path for him. After returning home, he decided to break up the monotony of the summer, and joined a community theater. During a play in which he had a comedic role, he so enjoyed the crowd reaction, that he joined his brother’s (comedian Gary Valentine’s) improv group. He began going to clubs with Gary and realized he, too, had the knack for comedy. He has performed stand-up up for about 11 years. It was on the comedy circuit that he met Ray Romano. While Ray was getting a big break with his own sitcom, Kevin was getting recognition on Star Search (1983). After appearing on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno (1992), his big break came at the 1996 “Just for Laughs” Montreal Comedy Festival. Afterward, he landed a recurring role on Ray’s sitcom, Everybody Loves Raymond (1996).
Interesting Facts about Kevin James
- In June 1999 and 2000, he hosted the Florida Sports Awards, the official sports award show for the state of Florida, in Jacksonville, Fla. This event raises funds for the Otis F. Smith Foundation.
- The number “9” is a staple among his television career: Everybody Loves Raymond (1996) (the series in which his character Doug Heffernan originated from) ran for nine years, his spin-off series The King of Queens (1998) ran for nine years, and the pilot episode of his new series Kevin Can Wait (2016) premiered nine years after the series finale of his spin-off.
- His father was of German descent.
- 19 June 2004 – He married his longtime girlfriend, model Steffiana De La Cruz, before 180 friends – including Ray Romano – and family members in Dana Point, California.
- He was raised in Stony Brook, NY, and graduated from Ward Melville High School (Long Island, New York) in 1983. One of his wrestling teammates at Ward Melville High School was future WWE star and author Mick Foley (“Mankind”). He also attended Cortland University with Mick Foley.
- His wife, Steffiana De La Cruz, gave birth to their third child, a boy named Kannon Valentine James, on April 24, 2011 (Easter Sunday).
- His big break came in 1996 when he won at the “Just for Laughs” Montreal Comedy Festival.
- His now-wife, Steffiana De La Cruz, appears in 4 episodes of his sitcom, The King of Queens (1998) (in small roles).
- Is a member of Pi Lambda Phi fraternity.
- Kevin and Steffiana De La Cruz, became the parents of a second girl, Shea Joelle James, on June 14, 2007, in Los Angeles. Was named after New York’s Shea Stadium.
- Is an avid golfer and fan of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.
- His wife, Steffiana De La Cruz, gave birth to their fourth child, a daughter named Sistine Sabella James in late January 2015 weighed in at 9 lbs., 8 oz.
Personal Quotes by Kevin James
For some reason and I don’t know why, but I don’t think that I’m funny in California. So I always want to do my movies east somewhere.- Kevin James
Thanksgiving, man. Not a good day to be my pants.- Kevin James
Once a year my back will go out and it’ll be… it’s like a sciatic thing and it’s the smallest thing. Like I could be leaning over the sink to brush my teeth in a weird way and it happens.- Kevin James
I would always love to be an athlete, but it’s got to be a tough day when you have to hang up those cleats.- Kevin James
It’s always cool to meet people who can do things that you have no capacity to do.- Kevin James