Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Kit Harington. Check it out!
Kit Harington was born Christopher Catesby Harington in Acton, London, to Deborah Jane (Catesby), a former playwright, and David Richard Harington, a businessman. His mother named him after 16th century British playwright and poet Christopher Marlowe, whose first name was shortened to Kit, a name Harington prefers. Harington’s uncle is Sir Nicholas John Harington, the 14th Baronet Harington, and his paternal great-grandfather was Sir Richard Harington, the 12th Baronet Harington. Through his paternal grandmother, Lavender Cecilia Denny, Kit’s eight times great-grandfather was King Charles II of England. Also through his father, Harington descends from politician Henry Dundas, 1st Viscount Melville, the bacon merchant T. A. Denny, clergyman Baptist Wriothesley Noel, merchant and politician Peter Baillie, peer William Legge, 4th Earl of Dartmouth, and MP Sir William Molesworth, 6th Baronet.
Interesting Facts about Kit Harington
- Sees himself first and foremost as a theatre trained actor.
- Landed the role of Albert Narracott in the play War Horse while still at drama school.
- His mother, Deborah Jane (Catesby), is a playwright and artist, and his father, David Richard Harington, is a retired businessman.
- Kit’s recent ancestry is English, as well as Welsh, Scottish, Northern Irish, and Dutch. His distant roots include German, French, and Spanish, and, going back to the 1400s and 1500s, he also has remote Italian, Polish, Lithuanian, Austrian, and Danish ancestry. Kit’s father is from a prominent family, and descends from many Earls, Baronets, Peers, Dukes, and Viscounts. Many of Kit’s mother’s ancestors lived in India and South Africa as part of British colonialism and Dutch settlements (through his mother’s Dutch ancestry, Kit descends from Count Jacob van Reenen).
- Is a descendant of Sir John Harington, the inventor of the flush toilet.
- Has a fear of spiders, needles, and flying. He gets around by car or train.
- Favorite movies are 25th Hour (2002), Romeo + Juliet (1996), Jurassic Park (1993), Heat (1995), Some Like It Hot (1959), and If…. (1968).
- Attended the Central School of Speech and Drama.
- Used to work in a book store where he often had to lift heavy copies of the ”A Song Of Ice and Fire” series and grew to dislike George RR Martin as a result.
- Descended from a viscount who served as Britain’s Secretary of War at the turn of the 19th century, and is a nephew of a baronet; the family is listed in Burke’s Peerage.
- Brother of John Catesby Harington.
- Is a descendant on his mother’s side of Robert Catesby, the character he played in the drama he created and produced, Gunpowder (2017).
Personal Quotes by Kit Harington
There’s a huge difference between stage fighting and real sword fighting.- Kit Harington
On a serious level, I wouldn’t tell the press if I was in a relationship or not. I wouldn’t ever reveal that, because it takes you down a certain road… I have no desire to be courting the press with my love life.- Kit Harington
Working with animals is always going to be tough because the animal doesn’t know it’s an actor.- Kit Harington
Politics is a game and a profession. It doesn’t really serve the people the politicians are supposed to serve.- Kit Harington