Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Leslie Odom Jr.. Check it out!
Born in New York. Grew up in Philadelphia with his parents and little sister. Attended Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Graduated and moved to Los Angeles in the summer of 2003.
Interesting Facts about Leslie Odom Jr.
- Won the 2012 Astaire Award for Outstanding Male Dancer on Broadway and was nominated for a Drama League Award for his work in the short lived Broadway flop “Leap of Faith” with music by Academy Award winning writer Alan Menken. The show officially ran for just 2 and a half weeks at the St. James Theater in New York City.
- His talented Freshman class at Carnegie included Josh Groban, Katy Mixon, Brennan Hesser, Griffin Matthews, Audra Blaser, Angela Lin, Josh Gad, and Ben Pelteson.
- Daughter Lucille Ruby (b. April 23, 2017).
- Leslie and his “best friend” on Smash, Megan Hilty, were students at Carnegie Mellon University together. Hilty was just 1 year under Odom, Jr. in the Theatre program.
- Was a 2002 Princess Grace Award winner for Acting.
- An accomplished singer and dancer, Leslie made his Broadway debut at 17 playing “Paul” in Rent.
- Turned down the role of “Mereb” in the original cast of AIDA to continue his studies at CMU.
- Alumnus of the College of Fine Arts (CFA) at Carnegie Mellon University (CMU); School of Drama, class of 2003.
- Friends with Cynthia Erivo.
- Graduated with honors from Carnegie Mellon University’s prestigious School of Drama.
- Counts Anna Deavere Smith as a major inspiration in his life.
- Won the 2016 Tony Award for Best Leading Actor in a Musical for his performance as Aaron Burr in the Broadway sensation Hamilton (2015).
Personal Quotes by Leslie Odom Jr.
Donny Hathaway’s ‘For All We Know’ is the song that I’ve sung the longest. It is a beautiful song about living in the moment and appreciating this very second. That is the song I did for my ‘Rent’ audition.- Leslie Odom Jr.
I haven’t gotten hundreds of jobs that I’ve auditioned for.- Leslie Odom Jr.
Josh Gad was in my class. Katy Mixon. Griffin Matthews. Josh Groban – he ended up leaving to become a huge star, but he was in our class in freshman year. I remember Josh was this nerdy kid in a turtleneck with a voice from heaven.- Leslie Odom Jr.
When I see the black experience – there’s not one, but it is specific, and you can’t ignore it.- Leslie Odom Jr.