Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Lily James. Check it out!
Lily James was born Lily Chloe Ninette Thomson in Esher, Surrey, to Ninette (Mantle), an actress, and Jamie Thomson, an actor and musician. Her grandmother, Helen Horton, was an American actress. She began her education at Arts Educational School in Tring and subsequently went on to study acting at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama in London, graduating in 2010.
Interesting Facts about Lily James
- After learning that another actress in the Actors’ Equity Association had the name Lily Thomson, she choose the stage surname of James to honour the memory of her father, James Thomson, who had died a few years earlier.
- She is a sixth cousin of U.S. President George Bush through her American grandmother. Lily’s four-times-great-grandfather, Stephen Horton, was the brother of the president’s four-times-great-grandmother, Sarah Horton (their parents were Comfort Horton and Joanna Wood). Lily is thus a sixth cousin, once removed, of the president’s sons, President George W. Bush and Governor Jeb Bush.
- She is a mezzo-soprano.
- Graduated from the Arts Educational School, Tring Park, in Hertfordshire, England, in 2008. In sixth form, she studied the musical theatre course curriculum and was elected head girl of the school.
- She has the same birthday (not the same year of birth) as her on-screen mother in Cinderella (2015), Hayley Atwell.
- Is a distant relative to her Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again! (2018) co-star Meryl Streep, although the two actresses don’t share a scene together. But James played a younger version of Streep’s character.
- She has American ancestry because Lily’s paternal grandmother was American actress Helen Horton, who lived in England with Lily’s British grandfather, Hamish Thomson.
- Counts True Romance (1993) as one of her favorite films.
- Graduated from the Guildhall School of Music and Drama, in London, England, with a bachelor of arts honors degree in acting in 2010.
- The only time she has acted out giving birth in a movie was in Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again! (2018).
- Her grandmother Helen Horton provided the voice of “Mother,” the Nostromo space tug’s computer in Ridley Scott’s Alien (1979).
Personal Quotes by Lily James
I treated myself to a £700 Chloe bag after one of my first acting jobs. Then my friends pointed out that, for the same money, I could buy a flight to India. So I took it back.– Lily James
I love clothes but it’s a struggle for me to get out of jeans and a baggy jumper.– Lily James
I trained with Olympics Athlete Jeanette Kwakye – who is amazing! And Shani Anderson, who is an excellent Olympic runner. We trained five times a week; running, circuits, weights, working out in the gym, and on the track. It was an insane time.– Lily James
The Twenties outfits are all about freedom and loose, flowing lines, whereas in ‘Cinderella,’ I had to wear corsets and big huge skirts.– Lily James
I never thought I would say this, but I’m desperate to do an action film.– Lily James