Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Michael Emerson. Check it out!
Michael Emerson was born on September 7, 1954 in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, USA. He is an actor, known for Lost (2004), Person of Interest (2011) and Saw (2004). He has been married to Carrie Preston since September 5, 1998.
Interesting Facts about Michael Emerson
- Worked as a Drama teacher before acting and briefly considered staying with it.
- He and the cast were awarded the 1998 Back Stage Garland Award for Ensemble for “Gross Indecency’ The Trials of Oscar Wilde at the Mark Taper Forum Theatre in Los Angeles, California.
- Worked as a freelance illustrator for publications like The Boston Globe and The New York Times.
- Emerson graduated from South Tama County High School in Tama, Iowa.
- Graduate of Drake University, where he earned a degree in Theater Arts.
- In 1995, he graduated from the prestigious Professional Actor Training M. F. A. program run jointly by the Alabama Shakespeare Festival and The University of Alabama Department of Theater and Dance. He turned 40 while in the program, which made him about 15 years older than the typical theater graduate student.
- Michael Emerson met his now-wife, Carrie Preston, during the mid-1990s, when they both appeared in a production of “Hamlet” at the Alabama Shakespeare Festival. Preston played “Ophelia” and Emerson played “Guildenstern” in the production.
- Did not start acting professionally until he was 32 years old.
- Is a stage actor who makes occasional films.
- Did not have his first starring role in a play until he was 43 years old.
- Born on exactly the same date as Corbin Bernsen (of *L.A. Law* fame), and as Doug Bradley (“Pinhead” in the *Hellraiser* movies).
- Worked as a freelance illustrator and in retail before his acting career started.
Personal Quotes by Michael Emerson
The ‘Lost’ style book is really quite set. We do things like, we walk through the jungle, and we stop and turn and talk to each other. We never talk and walk. We always stop to talk.- Michael Emerson
I’m the worst at a computer.- Michael Emerson
Yeah, it’s funny, working on a show with as large a cast as we have here, your work gets sort of compartmentalized. There’s still about half the cast that I’ve never had a scene with but I have missed working with Terry.- Michael Emerson
I have had some good fortune in the world of television. I have had it late in life after many youthful struggles and a change of careers.- Michael Emerson
This is this thing I harp on: Sometimes acting can be a self-defeating psychological enterprise if we feel like we’re desperate, if we feel like we’re beggars at the door, praying that someone will take pity on us and give us a job. It would be so much better to feel like we’re tradesmen.- Michael Emerson