Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Michael Rooker. Check it out!
Michael Rooker was born on April 6, 1955 in Jasper, Alabama. When he was thirteen, his parents divorced and he went with his mother to live in Chicago. He caught the acting bug while attending college, and began appearing in local stage productions. On first breaking into film, his intensity and “don’t-mess-with-me” good looks were highlighted to chilling effect as he title character in Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (1986), filmed in 1986 but, due to its controversial nature, not released until 1990. Since that widely noticed and highly praised performance, much of his career has been spent playing brutes, villains and psychopaths. However, his occasional turns as a “good guy” are always well-acted and a welcome change for a talented actor too often typecast.
Interesting Facts about Michael Rooker
- Announced on Twitter, with a photo, that his first daughter gave birth to his first grandchild, a daughter, on Thanksgiving morning, 28 November 2013.
- Ranked #17 on Tropopkin magazine’s Top 25 Most Intriguing People [Issue #100].
- He has worked with Sylvester Stallone on two films, Cliffhanger (1993) and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017).
- Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (1986) was his first movie, which was filmed in 1986 but was not released until 1990.
- Currently resides in Los Angeles, California.
- Michael Rooker and Brian Thompson are the only actors to have acted alongside all three of the major action heroes of the 1980s. Rooker appeared with Sylvester Stallone in Cliffhanger (1993), Arnold Schwarzenegger in The 6th Day (2000) and Jean-Claude Van Damme in Replicant (2001). Thompson appeared with Sylvester Stallone in Cobra (1986), Arnold Schwarzenegger in The Terminator (1984) and Jean-Claude Van Damme in A.W.O.L.: Absent Without Leave (1990).
- Has appeared in two films whose plot centered around human cloning: The 6th Day (2000) and Replicant (2001).
- Studied Japanese martial art of Aikido with Fumio Toyoda Shihan prior to establishing himself in Chicago theatre.
- He unofficially reprised his role from Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (1986) for the music video, “All Wrapped Up”, by the heavy metal band, American Head Charge.
- Holds a black belt in Kyokushin style of karate.
- Has two daughters with his wife Margot LaRose: Alynne Rooker and Gillian Rooker.
- Said in an interview, that when he was 13 years old, he saw a Volvo commercial that compared Volvos to other cars by hanging them upside down from a crane and dropping them on their roof. He was so impressed with how well the Volvo fared in the comparison that he’s wanted one ever since. In 2014, he finally purchased an s60 Volvo Sedan.
Personal Quotes by Michael Rooker
I’m a very jovial guy. I like to laugh, and when things strike me as funny, I don’t hide the fact that it’s humorous to me. It almost doesn’t matter where I’m at: I will burst out and laugh if it’s funny to me.- Michael Rooker
Groot is an awesome character.- Michael Rooker
I don’t approach a role by saying I’ll be unsavory or unlikable.- Michael Rooker
Night of the Living Dead’ is one of my favorites.- Michael Rooker
Horror fans need horror, okay? They don’t need little worms squirming around going down your throat. To them, that’s not horror.- Michael Rooker