Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Michael Sheen. Check it out!
Even though he had burned up the London stage for nearly a decade–and appeared in several films–Michael Sheen was not really “discovered” by American audiences until his critically-acclaimed turn as Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart in the 1999 Broadway revival of “Amadeus”.
Interesting Facts about Michael Sheen
- He was nominated for a 1999 Laurence Olivier Theatre Award for Best Supporting Performance of 1998 for his role in “Amadeus”.
- Graduated from RADA. Later became an Associate Member of RADA.
- He was nominated for a 2004 Laurence Olivier Theatre Award for Best Actor of 2003 for his performance in “Caligula” at the Donmar Warehouse.
- Lived with fellow Welsh actor and friend Matthew Rhys for some time in Los Angeles. They had previously shared a flat, along with Ioan Gruffudd, when living in London.
- Son of Irene, a secretary, and Meyrick Sheen, a former British Steel Corporation personnel manager turned professional Jack Nicholson look-a-like, he has a sister, Joanne Sheen. He was brought up in Port Talbot, the Welsh town that famously produced Richard Burton and Anthony Hopkins.
- He was awarded the OBE (Officer of the Order of the British Empire) in the 2009 Queen’s New Year Honours List for his services to Drama.
- Was in a relationship with Sarah Silverman from January 2014 to December 2018.
- Portrayed British Prime Minister Tony Blair three times. In The Deal (2003), The Queen (2006) (both directed by Stephen Frears) and in The Special Relationship (2010).
- Has played both a werewolf (in Underworld series) and a vampire (in Twilight Saga).
- One of 115 people invited to join AMPAS in 2007.
- He was awarded the 2003 London Critics Circle Theatre Award and the Evening Standard Drama Award as Best Actor for his performance in Caligula at the Donmar Warehouse.
- He was nominated for a Laurence Olivier Theatre Award in 2000 (1999 season) for Best Actor for his performance in “Look Back in Anger” at the Royal National Theatre, Lyttelton stage.
Personal Quotes by Michael Sheen
The secret to acting is don’t act. Be you, with add-ons.- Michael Sheen
I think it’s quite tough for people like Tom Cruise where you can never really get away from being Tom Cruise in something. You’re so familiar to people and people know so much about your life.- Michael Sheen
I cry when I feel moved by incredible generosity or a connection to someone. We spend so much of our lives being separated. It’s the relief of connection that produces the tears.- Michael Sheen
My taste in watching things runs from dramas and low-budget films to high-end fantasy/science fiction.- Michael Sheen
I would like to be taller, thinner and more rakish looking.- Michael Sheen