Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Michelle Rodriguez. Check it out!
Mayte Michelle Rodriguez was born on July 12, 1978 in San Antonio, Texas to Carmen Milady Pared Espinal, a Dominican housewife & Rafael Rodríguez Santiago, a Puerto Rican U.S. Army solider. Known for tough-chick roles, Michelle is proof that there is a cross between beauty and brawn. Michelle always knew she was destined to become a star, she just didn’t know how to get there. Michelle lived in San Antonio until the age of 8 when her parents divorced & moved to the Dominican Republic where she lived for two years before moving to Puerto Rico. At 11, Michelle’s family relocated for the last time to Jersey City, New Jersey. Although she has been working since 1999 as an extra in such films as Summer of Sam (1999) and Cradle Will Rock (1999), it only took a magazine ad announcing an open casting call in New York for Michelle to decide to finally step into the spotlight. The role was the female lead, the movie was Girlfight (2000). Despite the lack of experience in film and boxing, Michelle auditioned, along with another 350 girls. After various trials inside an actual boxing ring and five arduous months of training in Brooklyn’s Gleason’s Gym, she was finally chosen to portray the role of Diana Guzman. As soon as the independent film began making the rounds at various film festivals, Michelle began gaining critical acclaim for her performance earning her awards like the Deauville Festival of American Cinema award for Best Actress and the Las Vegas Film Critics Society for Female Breakthrough Performance. As Girlfight (2000) continued to gain notoriety with its September 2000 release, Michelle was already hard at work with films like 3 A.M. (2001), the blockbuster hit The Fast and the Furious (2001), and Resident Evil (2002). With Hollywood calling her name, the future for this feisty Jersey girl is as strong as the punches she throws.
Interesting Facts about Michelle Rodriguez
- It was announced in 2005 that she would be joining the second season cast of the ABC drama series Lost (2004).
- Dropped out of high school at 17, but later obtained a G.E.D. equivalency certificate.
- She was the original choice for the title role in Æon Flux (2005), which went to Charlize Theron.
- Ranked #77 in Stuff magazine’s “102 Sexiest Women in the World” (2002).
- Is often seen singing karaoke alongside Lindsay Lohan, Bo Barrett, Emile Hirsch and Nicole Richie at Beverly Hills hot spot “Guys”.
- Has two half-sisters on her father’s side.
- Was considered for the role of Christine Thayer in Crash (2004), which went to Thandie Newton.
- Is of Puerto Rican and Dominican ancestry.
- Good friends with Jason Sarayba and Nicole Eggert.
- Born on the same date as [Topher Grace].
- Girlfight (2000) was her first acting audition, and she got the role. The Fast and the Furious (2001) was her second audition, and she also got that role.
- Is an avid in-line skater.
Personal Quotes by Michelle Rodriguez
It’s the board I had a problem with. I could totally handle being in the water and stuff. I came here to do my own stunts. Water! Ocean! Action! Big waves! That water, that water has tamed me. You can feel that the world is connected to it.– Michelle Rodriguez
I was in Jersey when the whole World Trade Center thing happened and I felt powerless. So, I went to Hawaii and did a surf movie. It’s kind of fluffy.– Michelle Rodriguez
I do have a delicate side.– Michelle Rodriguez
I learned that you can make a sci-fi film that is satisfying overseas. European people have everything in check. I’d make every sci-fi film in Europe. They only work 14 hours a day. After that, it’s overtime.– Michelle Rodriguez
Basically I was a rebel growing up. I got kicked out of six schools. But I don’t think that it makes you less of an intellect. You know, if you ever crave knowledge, there’s always a library.– Michelle Rodriguez