Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Nathan Fillion. Check it out!
Nathan Fillion was born on 27 March 1971 in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. He is the son of Cookie (Early) and Bob Fillion, both retired English teachers, and has an older brother, Jeff. In Canada, he attended Holy Trinity Catholic High School, Concordia University College of Alberta and University of Alberta. Before moving to New York City in 1994, he participated in improv theatre, including Theatresports with Rapid Fire Theatre and improvised soap opera Die-Nasty. He also appeared in a TV Movie Eldprov i Arktis (1993) starring Richard Chamberlain and in Strange and Rich (1994).
Interesting Facts about Nathan Fillion
- Was a popular fan choice for the role of the heroic pilot Hal Jordan in Green Lantern (2011), but the role went to Ryan Reynolds instead. Fillion voiced Jordan in the animated feature Green Lantern: Emerald Knights (2011) as a replacement for Christopher Meloni, who had voiced Jordan in Green Lantern: First Flight (2009), but was unable to reprise the role due to scheduling conflicts.
- Both of Nathan’s parents and his brother were all teachers.
- Parents are Cookie and Bob Fillion, both of whom are retired English teachers.
- His ancestry includes French-Canadian, English, German, Norwegian, and Finnish/Swedish. His surname is French.
- Has voiced Hal Jordan/Green Lantern in four different animated features: Green Lantern: Emerald Knights (2011), Justice League: Doom (2012), Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox (2013) and Justice League: Throne of Atlantis (2015).
- “Castle: Flowers for Your Grave (2009)”, the series premiere of Castle (2009), aired a couple of weeks before he turned 38. In 2016, “Castle: Crossfire (2016)”, the series finale, aired a couple of weeks after Stana Katic turned 38.
- He is deaf in his left ear. He lost his hearing in that ear in 1977.
- Has an older brother, Jeff Fillion, who decided to go into teaching. He taught in schools in Edmonton, Alberta, and became a principal at St. Richards Edmonton Catholic School where he made a movie with the kids and got his brother Nathan to do the introduction. It was about the school going into space.
- Friends with Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.
- Since 1997, he is an American citizen.
- He has said that he is a descendant of Confederate Lieutenant General Jubal A. Early. When told this, Joss Whedon created a bounty hunter by the name of “Jubal Early” for the Firefly (2002) episode Firefly: Objects in Space (2002). However, genealogical research has shown that Nathan and Lieu. Gen. Early are not related; Nathan’s line leads back to ancestors named “Ehrle” or “Oehrle” in Germany, while the Lieu. Gen.’s line leads back to Donegal, Ireland.
- He considers his time on Firefly (2002) to be the most fun he had on a TV series.
Personal Quotes by Nathan Fillion
In all my characters, I try to find an iota of myself, and in Castle, I found a lot. He gets away with a lot, so that’s fun.- Nathan Fillion
I was shy. I was painfully shy, until fifth grade when I transferred to another school and befriended the class clown. And one day he was sick and I kinda stepped in for the class clown and I said, ‘Wow, this is exciting, I’m a little bit nervous.’- Nathan Fillion
It’s a trap I’ve fallen into earlier in my career – trying to be liked. Don’t do it. When I watch TV and I see someone trying to make me like them, acting cute or quirky or goofy, I’m not impressed. Don’t act like America’s watching you. Just latch onto your character. Characters are flawed. Be unlikeable. Be flawed. Be a person.- Nathan Fillion
I don’t spend a lot of time online. My mother’s really good at picking out if she sees a really great review, and she’ll forward it to me. She’s like my little Internet filter. It’s always nice to see something going up; if I want to find something on Nathan Fillion, I do know where to look, but I’ve got a nice little delivery system in my mom.- Nathan Fillion
I like making sci-fi movies because I like watching sci-fi movies. I like watching horror. I like being in a horror movie. I’m a fan. My perspective’s a little different just because I get to participate as well as spectate.- Nathan Fillion