Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Octavia Spencer. Check it out!
Spencer is a native of Montgomery, Alabama, which she claims is the proverbial buckle of the Bible belt. She’s the sixth of seven siblings and holds a BS in Liberal Arts from Auburn University. A “closet” lover of acting, this practical Alabamian knew that she’d someday work in the film industry, but never dreamed it would be in front of the camera. In 1995, acclaimed director Joel Schumacher changed all that by giving her a small part opposite Sandra Bullock in the hit film A Time to Kill, and Spencer was on her way. In 1996, she teamed up with Bullock again in Bullock’s directorial debut of Making Sandwiches, a short film that premiered at the 1997 Sundance Film Festival.
Interesting Facts about Octavia Spencer
- Was the 139th actress to receive an Academy Award for one of the two actress categories, either Best Actress or Best Supporting Actress; she won the Best Supporting Actress Award for The Help (2011) at The 84th Annual Academy Awards (2012) on February 26, 2012.
- As of 2018, she has been in 3 films that were Oscar nominated for Best Picture: The Help (2011), Hidden Figures (2016), and The Shape of Water (2017). She was nominated for Best Supporting Actress in all three of those films. The Shape of Water (2017) is a Best Picture winner.
- Friends with Viola Davis.
- Is one of 11 actresses to win the Critic’s Choice Award, Golden Globe, Screen Actors Guild, BAFTA, and Oscar in the same year, winning for The Help (2011). The others to achieve this are Julia Roberts for Erin Brockovich (2000), Renée Zellweger for Cold Mountain (2003), Reese Witherspoon for Walk the Line (2005), Helen Mirren for The Queen (2006), Jennifer Hudson for Dreamgirls (2006), Kate Winslet for The Reader (2008), Mo’Nique for Precious (2009), Natalie Portman for Black Swan (2010), Anne Hathaway for Les Misérables (2012), Cate Blanchett for Blue Jasmine (2013), Patricia Arquette for Boyhood (2014) and Julianne Moore for Still Alice (2014).
- Graduated from Auburn University.
- Is a lover of antiques.
- Is good friends with Melissa McCarthy.
- Her mother, Dellsena (Owens), worked as a maid.
- Between 1996 and 2013, Spencer has played a nurse at least 16 different times, including in movies such as A Time to Kill (1996) and Seven Pounds (2008), as a regular on the TV show City of Angels (2000) and in guest spots on shows like Chicago Hope (1994), The X Files (1993) and Roswell High (1999).
- Is one of 8 African-American actresses to win the Oscar in a competitive category. The others in chronological order are Hattie McDaniel for Gone with the Wind (1939), Whoopi Goldberg for Ghost (1990), Halle Berry for Monster’s Ball (2001), Jennifer Hudson for Dreamgirls (2006), Mo’Nique for Precious (2009), Viola Davis for Fences (2016), and Regina King in If Beale Street Could Talk (2018).
- Has guest-starred on the TV series “Mom” (2013) and starred in the movie “Ma” (2019), this time as the title character. Both productions co-star Allison Janney, who plays the title role in Mom.
- In 2017, Octavia’s performance in Hidden Figures (2016) lost the Best Supporting Actress Oscar to colleague and The Help (2011) co-star Viola Davis’s performance in Fences (2016).
Personal Quotes by Octavia Spencer
Grey’s Anatomy’ is a very culturally diverse show.- Octavia Spencer
As you make your way along life’s tumultuous highways, it’s important to note that you should always carry a map, have plenty of fuel in the tank, and take frequent rest stops.- Octavia Spencer
Weight issues, race issues will always be there and if you allow them to get to you and you allow them to affect you then yes they affect you. But my thing is I have so many other things to worry about I can’t worry about other people’s perception of me.- Octavia Spencer
Meeting Oprah Winfrey, I cried like a baby. Meeting Steven Spielberg, I cried like a baby. Meeting Denzel Washington, I gushed like a crazy woman. If I don’t get excited or star struck by someone I’ve been dying to meet, it’s time to retire.- Octavia Spencer
Auditions make me nervous; any time I have to perform, I get stage fright.- Octavia Spencer