Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Portia de Rossi. Check it out!
Portia de Rossi was born and raised in Geelong, Australia. Originally born Amanda Rogers, at 15 she changed her name to Portia, saying that it was the most daring thing she had ever done up until that point. After graduating from high school, she attended the University of Melbourne, and studied law. Although she studied diligently, in 1993, Portia found herself giving special notice to a casting director who saw her in a commercial, and she soon auditioned for Sirens (1994), a low budget comedy starring Hugh Grant. She was cast in the role of Giddy, one of the three gorgeous models in the movie. It wasn’t until 1997, however, that Portia at last began to attract real attention. She turned an unforgettable role as Murphy in Scream 2 (1997), and in 1998 she joined the cast of Ally McBeal (1997) as the “Ice Queen”, Nelle Porter. She has also worked on such projects as Stigmata (1999), Girl (1998), and The Invisibles (1999), and she has appeared on several magazine covers, including Shape. After more than a decade of hard work, Portia is finally beginning to win real recognition, not only for her long golden tresses, but also for her wonderful talent.
Interesting Facts about Portia de Rossi
- Shares a birthday with Arrested Development (2003) costar Jessica Walter.
- Admitted to have married her first husband Mel Metcalfe mainly in order to obtain a Green Card for a permanent stay in the US. De Rossi didn’t acknowledge her attraction towards women when they married.
- Got the role of Nell Porter on Ally McBeal (1997) after Vanessa Marcil was forced to turn it down, due to signing on to Beverly Hills, 90210 (1990).
- Legally changed her name to Portia Lee James DeGeneres on September 23, 2010, taking the last name of her spouse Ellen DeGeneres.
- Got her role in Who Is Cletis Tout? (2001) after Sarah Michelle Gellar turned it down.
- Has two nieces named Eva and Perry Rogers. Parents are her older brother Michael and Casey Rogers.
- Her wedding with Ellen DeGeneres on August 16, 2008, took place at their house in Beverly Hills, California, and was attended by her mother and brother and by Ellen’s parents.
- Sang backing vocals on now ex-girlfriend’s Francesca Gregorini’s album “Sequel” (2003).
- Her father died when she was nine years old.
- Shares a birthday with her grandmother, who was born in 1907.
- First husband Mel Metcalfe left her to be with de Rossi’s brother Michael Roger’s wife, Renee Kappos. Metcalfe and Kappos eventually married.
- Started her own art company General Public in May 2017.
Personal Quotes by Portia de Rossi
I never, ever, restrict food, and I will never go on a diet ever again.- Portia de Rossi
My feelings for Ellen overrode all of my fear about being out as a lesbian. I had to be with her, and I just figured I’d deal with the other stuff later.- Portia de Rossi
If you’ve looked at all the glamour magazines lately, all the covers are actresses. If they are on those covers, they are going to try to emulate models. That’s just the way it is.- Portia de Rossi
It sounds so trite, but my private life is mine.- Portia de Rossi
I had a hell of a time convincing people I was gay – which was so annoying!- Portia de Rossi