Below is a compiled list of the most interesting facts about Ralph Macchio. Check it out!
Ralph George Macchio was born on November 4, 1961 in Huntington, Long Island, New York. He started out in various TV commercials in the late 1970s before appearing in the puerile comedy movie Up the Academy (1980), then a regular role in 1980 on the television series Eight Is Enough (1977) followed by a decent performance as teenager Johhny Cade in the The Outsiders (1983) based on the popular S.E. Hinton novel about troubled youth.
Interesting Facts about Ralph Macchio
- Born in the same Long Island (NY) town as Mariah Carey.
- Listed as one of 12 “Promising New Actors of 1984” in “John Willis’ Screen World”, Vol. 36.
- In Crossroads (1986), he has a final “cutting-heads” guitar showdown with a demonic rock guitarist, played by real life guitar hero Steve Vai. Both Macchio and Vai were born and raised on Long Island.
- A fan of the hockey team New York Islanders.
- When Joel Siegel first did a review for The Karate Kid (1984), he pronounced his name “MA-Key-O” instead of “Ma-chee-o”. The latter pronunciation was the way Macchio himself pronounced his name, but the former is the proper Italian pronunciation. Siegel was called in at 4:00 am the day of his review’s airing to correct the pronunciation. He later expressed annoyance at being called in at 4:00 am in the morning because Macchio “didn’t know how to pronounce his own name.”.
- Was #80 in VH1’s 100 Greatest Teen Stars.
- During Pat Morita’s (his former The Karate Kid (1984) co-star) funeral procession, Macchio gave a brief eulogy and ended it as quoted, “Forever, my Sensei” to the mourners.
- Graduated from Half Hollow Hills West High School in 1979.
- His father has half-Greek and half-Italian ancestry. His mother has Italian ancestry.
- Some moviegoers who sat through the end credits for the Marvel comics features Thor and The Avengers noticed a “thank you” credit for a Ralph Macchio. However, this was not meant for the Karate Kid actor, but rather for a man with the same name who was a Marvel writer during the 1980s.
- Daughter Julia Macchio was born in 1992; son Daniel Macchio was born in 1996.
- Once saved a baby porpoise that was beached on the shores of Malibu, CA. When reporters tried to cover the story, he asked to remain anonymous.
Personal Quotes by Ralph Macchio
Sometimes I wish I was more shrewd.– Ralph Macchio
Persona-wise, I represent a lot of people’s childhoods.– Ralph Macchio
There’s an audience out there for all these different types of things. Whether it’s comedy, motion-picture drama, family movie or a cool, cutting-edge indie, it’s nice to know that I can span all those different genres.– Ralph Macchio
I wasn’t the guy running out to the Viper Room or comedy clubs until three in the morning. I was the guy running back to watch the Mets win the World Series in 1986.– Ralph Macchio
To me, in life, if you have a sense of humor about it, that’s how you deal with anything.– Ralph Macchio